SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harry123456_gw

School is tough for some US kids

harry123456
15 years ago

Cameron Kaeding had forgotten his school ID card, for the seventh time this year. The junior had to wait to get his lunch because students without their ID cards are served last.

From last year, Cameron''s school, Cheektowaga Central Middle School in New York began to get tough on students.

Students can be barred from after-hours games, dances, plays and sports if they have poor grades or teachers say they have a bad attitude.

A poor grade is any grade below 65. There are social rules about nearly every minute of the day, from riding the bus to using the bathroom.

The students can only come back if they show improvement on weekly progress reports filled out by their teachers.

Cameron has also been kept from a pep rally and two dances because of his poor grades in math and social studies. "It''s horrible," he said. "I think it''s going a little too far because kids aren''t perfect."

"I''d like to go to a normal school," said Anthony Pachetti, 12, who has been barred from activities for failing math, science and social studies. "It''s not doing anything for me and just taking everything away."

But there are also supporters of the policies, both parents and students.

Sondra LaMacchia''s 14-year-old daughter Cortney was barred from a school dance because of poor grades.

"I have told her to study harder," said Ms LaMacchia. "Now the message is much clearer when she has to watch her friends dance."

Ellen Pieroni, 13, an eighth grader, had thought she might boycott a dance in December because her friends could not go. But now she says that she supports the policy. "I think they get lazy and don''t do the work," she said.

Comments (8)

Sponsored