SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mema_wi

Advice needed for mother of special needs children

MEMA_WI
21 years ago

Hello to all. I am mother to 2 very wonderful children who have special needs. My five year old daugther was treated for 2 1/2 yrs for cancer(leukemia that also passed from her blood into her spinal fluid-lots of chemo and radiation), is now off treatment, cancer-free, but has developmental delays due to the treatments. My seven yr old son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome(which is on the Autistic spectrum). They both require special ed services at school. I am certified to teach, but am not currently. So I know a lot about educating my children and what kind of services they require. I have had a lot of difficulty with the school system, especially concerning my son.

Asperger's is a newer catagory of Autism and many schools don't know what it is or how to deal with children who have it. I have been supporting the teacher's as much as I can, but I think that if I am going to be at school everyday(sometimes more than once), then maybe I should rethink public education and just teach him myself. I posted on the homeschooling page, but I am interested in opinions from parents who have kids in school systems as well. Any advice?

Thanks,

Mary

Comments (8)

Sponsored