Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
therapeutic boarding schools

Posted by vern1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 19:34

I'm trying to find out any information I can about a therapeutic boarding school called Discovery Academy in Provo Utah. If you know anything good or bad about it I'd appreciate hearing from you

Thanks
Vern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: therapeutic boarding schools

I don't know about this particular school, but I sent my daughter to one in LaVerkin, Utah..........and it saved her life. She wasn't even half as bad as most that went there, but I just couldn't handle her and she was pushing all the limits and had undesirable friends. THey were intensely theraputic.....and VERY rigid.
She was there for almost a year........when she was 17. She is now 21, doesn't drink.....owns her own house and is working with troubled kids. She did go to college but is not now......just couldn't seem to be happy there. She loves to work and loves her job.......at times working a TON of overtime.
She was engaged to be married this summer, but three months out, decided she needed to grow up more beforehand. And she is.....and I am very proud of her.
I hope you find what you need!!! There are tons of schools out there to help you and to help your child!!!
Julie

o

Iowajewel,

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it was successful for your daughter. I think I've read too many horror stories on the internet about bad schools that it's reassuring to hear a success story.

Vern

o

I work at Discovery Academy and believe that it is an excellent school. Each student has the opportunity to work with a mentor who helps them see how to live in the world and act appropriately. Discovery Academy is a clinical boarding school whose mission is to inspire each student to a quest for excellence in all areas of life. Through an intensive program of academics, therapy, and life skills training, students are challenged to excel in their development; intellectually, emotionally, socially, spiritually/ethically, and physically. Staff and student interactions are governed by mutual respect, in an environment that balances individuality with community.

This may not be much help to you if you are skeptical, but I assure you that in my opinion Discovery Academy is one of the better programs offered to troubled youth. We have a very clean track history. To my knowledge we have only had one incident that resulted in the termination of an employee several years ago.
Your child will be safe and secure at Discovery Academy and will have the opportunity to improve their relationship with you and perform better in school.

All of the staff at Discovery Academy go through an intense training cycle to insure that they are qualified to work with youth. Utah State laws are also very strict when it comes to interactions with youth. They are more strict than many other states. Please visit the Academy's Web-site. If you have specific questions please feel free to contact me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Main Web-site for DA

o

Escuincle

"If you have specific questions please feel free to contact me"

I do have questions and would appreciate the opportunity
How do I reach you?

Thanks
Vern

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here