SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

DD's 3rd grade didnt finish the math or science books

talley_sue_nyc
20 years ago

In science, they did 4 of the 14 chapters in the textbook.

In math, they got to page 104 of a 164-page book; they didn't get to division.

I wrote a letter to the teacher AND principal saying this was what I'd realized/discovered, and that it alarmed me. I said I had several questions--were they perhaps not supposed to cover that material? if they should have, what will the school do next? And I asked to meet with them to find out the answers to these questions.

(if it had been earlier in the year, I would have written to just the teacher first, but I'm a teeny bit steamed, and i feel like the principal messed up by letting the teacher get this far behind, if indeed they're behind)

I had my DH drop it off when he dropped off DD this morning. neither one of them has called yet.

I'm kind of nervous. I was supposed to be the PTA president, and I sort of "checked out" this spring--several things I thought I'd do, I didn't, so I sort of feel a bit like *I* was slacking. And I'm not good at confrontations.

And I'm also kinda p.o.'d--I mean, c'mon, 4 chapters of science in an entire year? And no division? And not just my kid but the whole class--so next year's teacher is going to have her hands full. And it's too late to switch classes, and she wouldn't test well at another school anyway because they didn't cover all the material--and she's really smart, she'd be acing that stuff if they'd just cover it. (she never misses a question on her math tests and homework unless she literally misses the entire question--doesn't realize she didn't fill in the blank.)

Plus a few years ago, the 8th grade class didn't cover a set of math concepts, and none of the really bright kids did well on the state Regents exam because of it, and they all missed out on getting admitted to really good high schools. So it's not like this principal hasn't seen this sort of problem before.

I don't know what sort of advice I'm asking for; perhaps just a heads up to other parents.

The frustrating thing is that even checking over her homework wouldn't tell me what they're NOT covering! I'd have to examine the entire textbook, which she didn't bring home very often--which I thought was because she did it all in class.

Comments (3)

Sponsored