Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
School Board Elections - do you vote??

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 10:54

I admit, before kids I didn't have clue who was on our local school board (nor did I care).

Now I realize the power these people have to shape your child's school and education. For instance, last year the board closed over half of our elementary schools and increased bussing by 35%.

Know where your board members stand on class sizes, outsourcing, program elimination, anti-bullying, etc....

It will affect you at some point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: School Board Elections - do you vote??

I don't have kids, or want them. But I always vote in the school board elections. I firmly believe that a good education is a right, and I will do everything in my power to make sure all children have access to quality education. Educated people are less likely to commit crimes, join gangs, and use drugs- activities that cost all of us money and sometimes much worse. Education is the ticket out of poverty. Everyone has a stake in the quality of education, and everyone has a responsibility to provide the best possible education to all children.

o
RE: School Board Elections - do you vote??

Yes I vote every time and I always have, even before kids came in the picture. I vote for a quality education but I don't believe that more money has to be spent in order to do it, at least not all the time. They do need to look at the bottom dollar because in my state, it's the local property taxes that pay for schools. With that being said, cutting class sizes and closing schools is not the answer. So in answer to your question, yep, I vote every time and I'm not afraid to call a school board member to find out why they voted for something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here