Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
private boarding school

Posted by gadaisy (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 23:26

We are going to be sending our son to Oneida Baptist Institute in Kentucky in a few weeks. One of my brothers had a scholarship and graduated from there years ago. He says he loved being there. Is there anyone out there that can give me any more info about this school. Are there any concerns we should know about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: private boarding school

I graduated from a private boarding school. I truly enjoyed the independence that I had during that time, as things were a bit chaotic at home with my parents. I was a very strong-willed teenager :) I also enjoyed the comraderie that was there with the other girls in my dorm.

Things to watch out for? I would point to being involved. Stay in constant contact with your son and ensure he understands that you are "there" for him no matter what. He will face dilemmas at times, whether school or personally based, and he will be making the decision daily whether to rely on his own judgment or to call you. Also, I hate to admit this, but at my school we got away with a LOT of things that we could not have done at home. We sometimes ran around at night, brought boys into the dorm, watched TV shows we probably shouldn't have, etc. Ugh. Looking back I can't believe we did all of that and yet 100% of my class went on to graduate from college!
Anyway, I just think that it's truly important that you minimize the impact of the distance b/w yourself and your son. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here