SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

Son acting up in school - what do I do?

Momma_Bird_OH
21 years ago

My DS is in 1st grade and his teacher asked me to come in tommorow to discuss his "inappropriate behavior". She said it's started in the last 2 months or so, and didn't give me any details on just what he is doing.

I am so torn up over this. First, I don't know what to expect tommorow, and just don't know what to say to her. I have talked to him, and he said he "gets in trouble" at school but couldn't give me any specific examples. He has a mild disability that affects his language - both receptive and expressive - and it's hard for him to put thoughts into words, so I didn't really expect much information from him. Second, I am not physically there at school, so how am I supposed to be able to do anything about it? I'm not saying I expect the teacher to make him behave, but how can I do that if I'm not there? I just don't know what to do, he's never been a behavior problem in preschool or so far in school.

To complicate things, his father (my DH) has been unemployed for 4 months. Even though we don't burden the kids with such things, I know it is affecting them. DS no longer goes to daycare after school, but rides the bus home to Dad. We've had to cut out a lot of activities and outings, and have had to explain that we can't afford to buy lots of things right now. I've also had to go back to work full time, after working part time since he was born. I think all of this may have something to do with his behavior problems - they started during this time of financial stress.

I just need some insight on what to say to the teacher, and how to "make" my son behave at school. Thanks for listening!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor