Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know how homeschooled kids get admitted to college?

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 23:18

My niece was in private school, then public, then homeschooled, then public, then homeschooled. She got her GED last spring, when she was not yet 17. After basically doing nothing this year she has matured a lot and now wants to go to college (she always planned to go eventually). She is very bright, she was skipped ahead a grade at one point. But being homeschooled with a GED, how does she go about getting admitted to college? She is interested in nursing, but the programs I've looked into require high school chemistry, biology, algebra (and sometimes more). She doesn't have those because she was being homeschooled at that point. Her mother says home schooled kids are "highly valued" by colleges, but I don't see how she can get into any of the more "technical" majors without actual high school grades and a transcript. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know how homeschooled kids get admitted to colleg

I know I will get truly and deeply flamed for this, but...unless you live in the wilds of Siberia, homeschooling is a sad disservice to kids, unless the home has a science and chemistry lab and a qualified person to teach those subjects, and maybe a foreign language lab and teacher, etc.

But back to your question: to enter an accredited university, the student must have completed the A-G subject requirements in academics and passed a college entry test such as ACT or SAT with qualifing scores. My advice to this young lady would be to find a community collge - no entrance exam, just an assessment test to see what she needs to learn. Even with a GED, she may have to take quite a bit of makeup work before she can even begin regular college work. After two years of successful community college, she can transfer to a university and finish her last two years.

There are also other options: she can get a certificate or AA degree at a community college if she wants a lesser type of career. For example, say she wants to be a nurse, she could get a LVN (2years)degree at a community college or if she wants to be an RN, she would transfer and go for two more years (total 4) to a university.

The unfortunate thing here is that she did not have access to career counseling, another thing people just don't have at home. No wonder she sat around for a year - she is probably neither prepared nor motivated to go out into the real world. Very sad, I would almost call this negligence.

o

You won't get any flaming from me, I'm not a fan of homeschooling a child like her (no special issues, etc.). She hasn't taken the SAT, I don't think. But I know she got a very high score on the GED. She's very bright. Close to straight As in public school and was skipped ahead a grade when she was tested before she entered high school (after a mix of private and home schooling). She is just very used to only doing what she wants (blame her parents, I do). So much comes easy to her that she tends to have trouble getting motivated to do things that don't.

I looked up "A-G subject requirements" and I think the only thing she is missing is foreign language, mathemetics (she has 2 years I think, not 3), and lab science (not sure what she has there, but pretty sure she doesn't have the advanced classes required for nursing, like Chemistry).

I'm just so afraid she is going to lose motivation to pursue nursing when she learns how behind she is. Her mother and I had arguments about her being home schooled. My other niece just entered school for the first time at the age of 9 1/2. She's doing great, thankfully.

o

Nursing programs here are not easy to get into even with a good transcript with the right high school classes. Without the science lab and advanced math courses, she can forget it. But she can enroll at the community college and take the missing classes and then apply. She can also take classes on being an assistant in a doctor's office and even work there as she studies. Those classes are offered at the community colleges here in California and through ROPs too.

She has basically limited her options, but that can be remedied at her local community college. Too bad she just did not do it right in the first place in high school, but all is not lost. It will just take her a little longer, giving her a chance to grow up a little more in the process.

Get her going with applications to the community college. With all the economic downturn, colleges too are making cuts while more people are going back to school.

o

I don't believe that all is lost here. She may not be able to get into a 4 year college right away, but with determination she can go in thru the back door. She definitely needs to get to some type of community college. Our local community college does require the ACT but I believe it is just to see where a student is at. They have all types of catch up courses and she may need to take these first. She should contact the community college and talk to some type of career counselor. That person would put her on the right track.

I have never homeschooled. I can say I'm not totally against it. I can see the benefits if the parents are willing to work just as hard as the kids. I think it really depends on the situation. Some parents do a great job and others do a lousy job.

o

Homeschooled kids can and do get into college. My kids had to trouble at all, but that is because I planned their high school classes to prepare them for college. Easy enough to do.

For your niece, I would strongly encourage her to go the community college route since based on what you have written, she is not prepared for a 4 year school at this time. Whatever she needs can be found at a community college. Then she can decide what she wants to do. Most community college has articulation agreements with the area 4 year colleges, so she can transfer easily.

Homeschooling does not have to get in the way of her career plans. She simply needs to come up with a plan and then find out what she needs to do in order to accomplish it. I wish her well.

o

I'm a homeschooling mom. The girl needs to call the school she wants to attend, and ask them what they require. She then needs to work to fulfill the requirements. They may even suggest where she should go (community college, etc.) to get the courses she needs. Our local nursing school (ranked in the top 100 in the country) actually offers the students the remedial courses they need. If the girl is serious, she'll follow through. I'm sure if the girl had known during high school that she wanted to attend nursing school, her mom would have helped her get the courses she needed then. I know I would have.

o

I was homeschooled all through high school. The easiest way to get into a university is to first attend a community college. I was able to accumulate enough credits to be considered a transfer student to a university. You can take the basic science classes required for a nursing degree at the community college and then apply for a nursing school. I disagree with some of the comments posted. I believe that being homeschooled taught me how to manage my time, which is necessary for the more "technical" majors. I am a computer science major with minors in biology, chemistry, and English. I am also in more than 4 organizations at my university and am graduating this year with over a 3.8 GPA. I will be applying for medical schools this summer. My mother has severe dyslexia and is not a certified teacher. It is true that many colleges make it hard for homeschoolers to get in, but it is possible. While she may have to spend an extra year or two fulfilling the requirements for nursing school at a community college, it is well worth it. By the time she finishes, she will have a recession proof career in something she is interested in. Good luck!

o

DavidQuack, I am just curious - how does a severely dyslexic, non-teacher-certified mom teach chemistry, biology, advanced math, foreign languages, computer skills and all the other A through G subjects required to attend college? Or do all homeschooled students plan to "spend an extra year or two" catching up at a community college before they can even begin real university-level work?

I work at a continuation high school and more than 75% of our students come to us severely credit-deficient due to being home schooled. Some of them are 17 years old and don't even have the basic arithmetic skills they would have had by the fourth grade. We don't allow people to practice law or medicine unless they are qualified and licensed. I just don't understand how something as important as a child's education can be left to totally unqualified amateurs, some of whom have little or no education themselves.

o

Scarlett,
I can answer your question.

>how does a severely dyslexic, non-teacher-certified mom teach chemistry, biology, advanced math, foreign languages, computer skills and all the other A through G subjects required to attend college?

There are many ways to do this. I will list out several options: DVD curriculum, tutor, CD program, community college classes while still in high school, homeschooling co-op classes, on-line classes. My list is not exhaustive, but is meant to show that there are many ways for a student to learn a topic. I've homeschooled my teens through high school and they got credit in many subjects that I knew nothing about. Sometimes they could just read the text and learn the material. Then I'd grade their quizzes and tests. (BTW, this worked very well for science classes. When they got to college, they found themselves very well prepared and got top grades.) Once you step outside of the 'classroom box', you will find many ways to learn.

>Or do all homeschooled students plan to "spend an extra year or two" catching up at a community college before they can even begin real university-level work?

No, not all homeschooled do this, but some do, And some public school high school graduates also need to go this route.

>Some of them are 17 years old and don't even have the basic arithmetic skills they would have had by the fourth grade.

This also happens to public schooled students. From what I have read, the most popular classes on college campuses today are remedial math and remedial English. Since most college students are publicly schooled, I have to assume that this is a big problem in the public school system.

o

Don't know that, but maybe you can try searching on line.

o

I know for a fact that about a dozen homeschooled students received acceptance letters from Princeton this year.

I know several who attend MIT.

Yeah, homeschoolers do get into college.

o

I haven't read all of the responses, but I will weigh my opinion.

I was always a great student, until high school. Even then, all of my honors (college level) classes were kept high priority for me and in those I was an A/B student. For my other on level courses, I was failing. I lost all motivation for most of my classes and in my third quarter of tenth grade, talked my mom into allowing me to homeschool. I had a hard time adjusting to transferring schools three times in three years, and public school just wasn't for me.

I was incredibly hard for my mom to agree to this, as she worked a full time job and would only be able to supervise what I did all day at night when she came home. To her surprise, I completely excelled at homeschooling and before entering the 11th grade, I took my SATs and scored very well. Because of this, I just entered my local community college to take a couple classes per semester to work toward a degree.

I decided long ago that I wanted to be a nurse, so that is what I was working towards. I got a 4.0 in college, NO problems at all, and got accepted to the ONLY nursing school I applied to (thank goodness), and started one week after turning 18. I passed my boards and was an official Registered Nurse while I was still 19 years old.

I am so glad that my mom let me go this route so that I could be ahead of the game. I am now 21, and LOVE what I do. Some of the friends that I went to school with are now graduating from college, while I have already been working as a nurse for two years.

I truly believe that you have to be completely dedicated to homeschooling should you choose to do it, and it is not for every child... but there are many that excel at it!

BTW, She can have a transcript- her mom makes it for her since she was homeschooled.

o

Great post pedsrn09
BTW, my daughter is in a RN program and is going through it at an accelerated rate due to being homeschooled. She was able to begin the program while still in high school and so is the youngest in the program.

o

I am a registered nurse. She needs to take classes at a community college and finish the prerequisites for nursing school. She then could finish an ADN program. This is an Associate degree in nursing. There are community colleges that offfer ADN. Then she could go to an RN to BSN program to finish the nursing degree, because I hear that soon all RN's will be required to have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing. By the way with the ADN one does earn RN status. My sister in law is a teacher who homes schools her kids and does a wonderful job with her kids. I am considering homeschooling my son. My husband has a teachers certificate and I am an RN so I think we are qualified. I think home schooling is a good thing. I do not agree with the people on here that are against it.

o

To Scarlett you can get your RN====not just LPN or LVN at a community college

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here