SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momma_bird_oh

DS hit a kid on the playground - what should we do at home?

Momma_Bird_OH
21 years ago

I picked up my sons from school today, and my kindergartener's teacher told me he had slapped another boy on the playground today. He was sent to the office and had a time-out, and his teacher also talked to him about how serious it was - any hitting is an automatic 5 day suspension but since he's in K and it's his first offence, they are not enforcing that rule.

I immediately talked to him on the way home about how serious it is, and that we NEVER hit for any reason. He said the boy, a 2nd grader, was calling him names on the bus this a.m., calling him names at 1st recess, and then started again at 2nd recess, where he hit him. I told him to tell the bus driver, to tell the playground teacher, and to tell his teacher if the boy calls him names and NEVER to hit. I also sent him to his room for a time out when we got home, but I feel I need to do MORE to make him realize how serious his infraction was. Any suggestions?

Also, as an aside, the boy that was teasing him is a really nasty boy, always in trouble, has very little/no parental supervision, etc. I can see how provoking this boy can be, but I've told DS that if he lets other people provoke him, he lets them control him, and that he needs to control himself.

Comments (11)

Sponsored