SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_zi

Early entry into Kindergarten...pros and cons.

lisa_zi
22 years ago

I am looking for opinions for and against enrolling a child early into Kindergarten. Here's the scoop...I have a very bright and VERY social little girl. She was born 01/05/98. Which would put her regular entry into Kindergarten in the Fall of 2003. We are wondering if she is ready for the Fall of this year. We have arranged to have her tested in the summer by the school Psychologist. If she falls beneath a certain percentile (90th I believe) in even 1 of the tests with the Psychologist it will be a moot point anyway, but if she doesn't we need to decide what is best for her. Her brother who is 5 is currently a Kindergartner. She knows EVERYTHING her brother has learned from school (and then some). I don't know if it's genetics or if she has benefited from being present when we work with him... a little of both I imagine. But besides that she is already reading on her own. She sounds out the words she sees in her story books, on the computer, signs etc... and we are CONSTANTLY amazed. She is writing as well (we help with the spelling). She THRIVES on this type of activity, she would sit and write and read all day if she could. Her preschool teacher believes she would do well in Kindergarten, her only concern is a SLIGHT speech problem in which she substitutes her G's with D's and her K's with T's. Example: Dramma instead of grandma, Tim instead of Kim. Funny thing is our son has the exact same speech problem (I guess she learned that from him too)LOL. We are VERY aware of the fact that academics are only one small part of the entire picture. She is very social. Not shy. Ummm...often takes charge (may or may not be a good thing:). She is patient in most circumstances and really is an excellent listener, at home as well as at school. So what do you think? I want to 'challenge' her and nurture any abilities she may have but I don't want to push her either. Geez....parenthood is just filled with these big decisions isn't it. I'm open to suggestions. Maybe some of you were jumped ahead of your classmates or felt you should have been. let me know. Thanks in advance. Peace

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths