Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Material or web sites for vocabulary improvement

Posted by drum4him (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 03 at 17:35

I am looking for recommendations for workbooks or websites that help improve vocabulary. Primarily for my 4th grader, it would be good if it included material for my 8th grade student also.

d4H

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Material or web sites for vocabulary improvement

I don't have a specific website, but the more they read, the better their vocabulary will be. Also, the more varied types of materials they read the better their vocabulary. Do they like to read? Could you help guide them to read some fiction, some poetry, some non-fiction, etc? Also, get them a good student dictionary so they can look up unfamiliar words as they read.

Good luck!

o
RE: Material or web sites for vocabulary improvement

I agree with Momma Bird. The more they read, the better their vocabulary. Luckily my kids LOVE to read. Does your local library offer a summer reading program?

How in depth is the reading your kids are doing in school? There's a test my kids take regularly at school (they have an excellent reading program, each child in the primary grades goes to reading class for 45 minutes every day). The test is called Scholastic Reading Inventory. It graded the child according to the grade level the child is on. For example, a 4th grader reading on grade level would have a grade equivalency of 4.2 (4th grade, second semester). Their reading classes are with other children (aged the same) who are reading at the same level.

I'd also check with my teachers (school's not out here yet). My 4th grader took part in the UIL Spelling contest & she was given a list of words that had previously been on the test to study. Maybe a list from a spelling bee if something like UIL is not available.

Make up some fun games related to words. When we go on long car trips and see a billboard or other signs, we use the words there to see how many words we can use from them. Like Anagrams.

I just did a quick google search & came up with bunches of sites - I searched for vocabulary help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vocabulary.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here