Return to the School Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with what to do

Posted by hilltop (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 10:11

Last fall our small school Music Booster group (not under school jurisdiction) undertook a fundraiser to send students on a band trip. The initial goal was $33,000. For a few months now I've heard rumblings that the goal had been met, but there hasn't been a booster meeting in months. A few days ago the President sent out a let indicating "We are at our original goal and a little more but new found expenses seem to be cropping up". I immediately emailed back asking exactly how much we had raised. She responded the group had deposited $47,000. I was shocked and felt we needed to inform our "giving" public that the goal had been met. Obviously the excess $14,000 didn't show up overnight. I feel we're deceiving the public if we continue to raise money when we're over 40% above the goal. I'm happy we reached the goal, but upset that the booster parents weren't informed. I also wanted to know what the additional expenses were. She said it was things like boxes for large instruments, tipping the bus driver @ $150/day, one nights entertainment for 49 youth, etc., plus she'd like to put excess funds in a CD for future trips. Some of these things had never been discussed. I said tipping the bus driver at $150/day seemed excessive & should have been in the initial contract- she then stated it was in the orginal contract (so not really an added expense). Anyway, I just got a spiteful email for asking all these questions--saying it's a volunteer job, if you think you're better qualified, go ahead, take over. I don't think I'm better qualified, I just had questions. I'm on school board, so I know what it's like to field questions, but also have to be accountable. I don't want to rock the boat, but I also helped initially with the fundraiser & I know there's another couple thousand that will still come in from contacted sources. Honestly, am I out of line? What would you do next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with what to do

This forum is sooooo slow right now, that I would advise you to put it over at "The kitchen Table" where you can talk about anything, and it is very active.

o
RE: Help with what to do

I would be sure that I attend all meetings and that decisions are made as a group or at least at the board level by a quorum of that board. I agree that the driver tip is excessive. I also agree that you need to be honest with the public from whom you are asking donations and let them know you are at goal and what you intend to do with any excess. I can see rolling it forward to help next year's trip, but I do not see continuing to fund raise this year.

And I too look at the situation from the perspective of a schoolboard member, but remember this is a private organization too. Hope they are following their bylaws.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the School Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here