SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Help with what to do

hilltop_gw
18 years ago

Last fall our small school Music Booster group (not under school jurisdiction) undertook a fundraiser to send students on a band trip. The initial goal was $33,000. For a few months now I've heard rumblings that the goal had been met, but there hasn't been a booster meeting in months. A few days ago the President sent out a let indicating "We are at our original goal and a little more but new found expenses seem to be cropping up". I immediately emailed back asking exactly how much we had raised. She responded the group had deposited $47,000. I was shocked and felt we needed to inform our "giving" public that the goal had been met. Obviously the excess $14,000 didn't show up overnight. I feel we're deceiving the public if we continue to raise money when we're over 40% above the goal. I'm happy we reached the goal, but upset that the booster parents weren't informed. I also wanted to know what the additional expenses were. She said it was things like boxes for large instruments, tipping the bus driver @ $150/day, one nights entertainment for 49 youth, etc., plus she'd like to put excess funds in a CD for future trips. Some of these things had never been discussed. I said tipping the bus driver at $150/day seemed excessive & should have been in the initial contract- she then stated it was in the orginal contract (so not really an added expense). Anyway, I just got a spiteful email for asking all these questions--saying it's a volunteer job, if you think you're better qualified, go ahead, take over. I don't think I'm better qualified, I just had questions. I'm on school board, so I know what it's like to field questions, but also have to be accountable. I don't want to rock the boat, but I also helped initially with the fundraiser & I know there's another couple thousand that will still come in from contacted sources. Honestly, am I out of line? What would you do next?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County