SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

need to make a case for computers in the classrooms

talley_sue_nyc
22 years ago

My PTO is trying to raise money through a matching-fund program (I'm the president). Since I felt we needed to have a specific goal for this money, we picked "a computer in every classroom." (This is a small Lutheran elementary and middle school; 12 classrooms total.)

One of the things we'll need to do is make the case for a computer in every classroom (sometimes I wish we'd picked library improvement; who can argue with that?). We'll need to persuade the parents that this is worth their $50 to $100 donation.

Personally I'm not in love with computer-science instruction in elementary school (though actually we have a computer lab that all grades use for this), but I can see that having a computer in her/his classroom might be useful for a teacher in their efforts to teach math, reading, writing, geography, etc. (this idea, actually, came from a list of their suggestions).

Can anyone steer me to articles about this, or share their personal experiences?

I'm sure there are negatives (there are to anything), but frankly I don't want to hear them, unless it's to be forewarned so I can create an argument against them. The decision of what to earmark the money for is made; I don't have time, energy, or desire to revisit that.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals