Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scanning ?

Posted by kyry (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 12, 05 at 19:12

I have a scanning question. If I scanned a small graphic at a higher resolution say 300, if I want to enlarge it will that make the quality better?
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scanning ?

By scanning at 300, you are making the image larger to where you can print out a sharper picture.
I always scan large and if I want a smaller print out, I resize it.
Best thing to do is experiment.
Try it and see what happens.
I scan using Adobe but copy & paste into PSP to work on.
I should really set my scanner up to open in PSP cause I always C&P it to there.

~Urlee~

o

This is what I am trying to do. Most pictures on line are quite small, when I save them and try to enlarge to say 5x7 sometimes they are blurry. Sometimes they turn out great. I was just wondering if I printed them out at the size they are, then scanned them at a higher resolution, opened them in PSP to enlarge, would that do what I'm looking to do?
Thanks Urlee, yes definately set up your scanner to PSP, I didn't have to do anything with either of my scanners to achieve that, guess I just lucked out it automatically did it. I can scan directly into any of my graphic programs or use the scanner as stand alone.
Carol

o

The answer to your question is: no. If you pick up a low res image off the internet and/or a JPG image which is damaged from compression (almost all images on WWW fit this category) then you have a fixed amount of information. There's nothing you can do to increase that amount of information.

If you print the image large enough and the pixels show, you can use interpolation to increase the pixel count. This will smooth out the pixels but it does not increase the total information content. Interpolation can also further damage the information in the image. If your software allows you to increase the res of an image, it's best to make multiple small increases rather than one large increase.

If you're scanning original work at your desktop and you have questions about what resolution to scan with, the link provided is a scalling/scan res calculator.

Here is a link that might be useful: scan res calc

o

Thank you so much for that info feldminte. I appreciate your reply.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here