Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo Size

Posted by Mike_G_ (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 12:10

I have three digital cameras. All of them take a photo at a ratio of 3.5 X 5. When I have someone else print them out they are done at the 4 X 6 ratio. This crops the photo to fit. Anyone know of a place that will print at the 3.5 X 5 ratio? I would not care if they had a white border at each end. I can trim that off. Some high end cameras can use either ratio.

Mike G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo Size

I wonder if that's what is happening with my photos too, because when I get prints made of my Fuji S5100 pics through Walmart, those with close subjects almost always get cropped in a way that I did NOT tell them to do (I didn't do any cropping myself when I prepared them and submitted them). Some of them look bad that way, and if they weren't only 15 cents each, I'd have complained.

o

Amy I am sure that is what happened. You just don't notice it on scenery. I cropped a photo to a 4 X 6 ratio at Wal-Mart and it would no accept it
Mike G

o

Not to rub it in guys, but----------
Oh the joys of having PSP and a photo printer?
You can make them any size you want.

Have you considered those little photo printers they are making especially for small photo's? OR------
My friend has a kodak camera that you slip the card into a printer that came with it and wolla, gorgeous instant picture making with special treated paper like you wouldn't believe. It's a wonder the studios are still in business?

~Urlee~

o

Urlee I have PSP 7 & PSP 10 and a photoprinter. The price of ink cartriges and paper are unreal. Refilling cartriges is chancy. It is a HP 7150 and prints better photos than Wal-marts does at 4 times the cost.

Mike G

o

Mike that's the exact reason I'm not using our great Dell photo printer (well it's an all-in-one but it prints great pics) right now--the cost of cartridges is just ridiculous for as short as they last doing photographs.

o

Whoops,
You are sooooo right Mike!
It means a lot if you have oodles of prints to make.
I forgot about looking at it that way.
I make prints from my camera and find it hard to make printouts for my friends cause you are out the $$ it costs you.

~Urlee~

o

Mike G,

Ask them to print "full frame."

Don't know if WalMart can do that. But a photo shop could. (At least they used to be able to do it.)

o

Where do you find out what ratio your camera takes? I can't find it in my user guide (Fuji S5100)

o

Sorry I said before mine was 3.5 X 5 ratio. It should be 3.75 X 5 ratio. That is what yours is Amy. You can down load a PDF users guide at the link below.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuji S51000 User Guide

o

have any of you checked out waht a color laser printer will do? they seem pretty cool and the toner lasts MUCH longer than an inkjet. with the right bond paper I would think very nice photo prints would be possible.
the hp home models are less than 300.00 now, of course I belive that is with "tester" toner cartridges in them, so you would have to invest in a set of cartridges, or a quality refill kit.
John

o

Found out Webshots can print out photos like I want. They have a 4 X D size which is 4" x 5.3". They have to be photos you have down loaded to their site.

Mike G

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here