Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cropping Questions...

Posted by Maybee (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 8:49

If I have a picture in PSP and want to crop it into an oval shape...I can use "preset shapes" to get an oval where I want it. But..what do I do next to crop the picture in that shape? I hope I've stated this so that it can be understood. I want to crop a picture into a circle or oval shapes...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cropping Questions...

Yes, use the selection tool set to the shape you want then goto Image/crop to selection.

o

Sorry misread part of your question, I don't think you can use the preset shapes to crop with, but you can use the selection tool.

o

If you want the picture to be saved as an oval afterwards, then you have to have your oval on a transparent background, and then export as a GIF file to keep the transparency. This process may or may not affect the quality of the image itself. You have to play with the settings while exporting.

o

Okay..I'm off the try the selection tool...

What good is the preset shapes if you can't crop something to that shape?

o

Well, you can, really---after you draw your preset shape, just use your magic wand tool outside the shape, invert the selection, then crop to selection.

o

Maybee, the preset shapes are good for other things--adding backgrounds to your photo, decorative shapes to a scrapbook page, using as conversation balloons for your photos just to mention a few--:)

o

AND TEXT on a CURVE!

~Urlee~

o

I have a picture and I was able to do the oval, but the background wasn't transparent...can I change that? In other words...if you have a picture that doesn't have a transparent background, can you "put" it on one?

o

There's a couple of ways to do that--the easy way is to copy your image, open AS, paste as new animation and then replace color with transparency--unfortunately that will remove all of the replaced color, even in your image. The other way is to stay in PSP, use your free-hand selection tool (the lasso) and outline your image; invert your selection and delete. You may find that you like the image better if you modify your selection by feathering it 1 or 2 pixels. Oh, yes, make sure your image is a raster layer rather than a "background" layer.

o
RE: Cropping Questions...how to tube

Here's a tut that will explain better than I did--

Here is a link that might be useful: how to

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here