Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JPEG Photo Scan File Sizes?

Posted by toecutter (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 21:05

Hello everybody,

I've recently purchased a Canon LIDE 600F scanner, and have been experimenting with scanning standard 6x4 inch photos.

I'm using it's "Multi Scan" and auto-crop feature, which is great in that you can place 4 photos at a time on the machine, and the software recognises, crops, separates the files automatically and assigns unique filenames.

I have chosen the maximum 600dpi resolution (these are precious archives) and am saving as JPEG (normal compression).

My query is that the files (each photo) are all less than 1mb in size, and I think this surely cannot be correct. The average size is actually about 650KB.

Can anyone tell me if this seems correct? I have googled extensively on this, and while there's differing information all over the place, I believe the file sizes should be about the 5-7MB range.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I have four days now in which I can return the unit if something is askew with it.

Regards, Matt.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JPEG Photo Scan File Sizes?

Matt, don't save them with JPEG compression. JPEG (jpg) is a lossy compression scheme which throws out information in order to shrink file size.

Any editing or archiving of photo's should be in either Bitmap (BMP) or Tiff format. If you use Photoshop, PSD. These are lossless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here