Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dot to Dot Art

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 20:22

Hello Everyone,
Okay, this is what I'd like to do. I would like to make a dot to dot diagram of a picture of someone or something. Then I could have my grandchild draw from dot to dot (following the number seqence) with the final picture revealed when it's done. Does anyone know how I could this? Is there a generator out in internet land that one could use to do this? I've done the crossword puzzles, hidden word puzzles and mazes for them to do, then I put their finished project in their scrapbooks, they love it.
Thought this would be cute for them. Any help, links and/or suggestions appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dot to Dot Art

You didn't say how old your grandchildren are but these sites might be what you're looking for.

http://coloringpages.net/holidays.html

http://www.billybear4kids.com/animal/scoop.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: games

o

MonaBlair,
I have two grandchildren, one is four the other is eight. I bookmarked the great links you provided for future use. However, I want to create my own dot to dot game using a picture of a family member or pet. I was hoping there was some kind of dot to dot game generator to do this. I don't even know if such a thing exists on the web, but hoping just the same. Thank you.

Sapphires

o

There is a way for you to do it using the "Paint" program in Accessories. But it will take time and patience on your part.

Import the photo you want to use. Click on the "A" tool that signifies a Text Box. Then you'll see you're given 2 choices for inserting text (found at the lower section of options). Choose the bottom one and you can place a number where you want to follow the outline of the picture. The top choice will leave you with an opaque box as well as the number. I don't think you want that.
After you have the numbers outlining this photo, select the eraser tool and patiently erase the photo, leaving only the numbers. Print the finished product and you should have a connect-the-dots personalized project. Email me if you have questions.

o

MonaBlair,
I followed your instructions for the most part. The problem I see is that it is hard to see the numbers on the picture. That's as far as I got as it was frustrating me. Any clue on how to see them better, especially if the subject on the picture is dark? I appreciate your help. Sure wish there was some kind of generator on line for this to make easier. Thank you.

Sapphires

o

Sapphires could you put the numbers on a second layer?
Then you could lower the opacity of the picture layer and your numbers would stand out.
Then just delete the picture layer when your dots are in order.
Sue :)

o

Sue,
I have no idea what I'm doing, lol! I always come up with ideas I'd like to do for my grandchildrens scrapbooks that are unique but half the time I am unable to do them. I have PSP7 but honestly I don't know my way around it. Thanks for your reply and help.

Sapphires

o

LOL Ok I have no idea what i'm doing either but I had a go in PSP7 and it worked - lol not very well as I was too impatient to get the numbers in the right places but well enough to show you how it would work and write it out step by step.

So hoping this makes sense. Give it a whirl
Sue.

DOT TO DOT Tutorial

Open the picture you want to use - CONTROL + D to make a copy then close the original.

Go to the layer palette and duplicate background.
Make sure your background color palette is set to white and hit the delete key on your keyboard. This will replace the photo with a white background. (See Screen Shot)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Add a new layer
Now on the middle layer (the photo)lower the opacity to about 35 so it fades. (See Screen Shot)

Now on thetop layer (the new one you made) use your text tool to add the numbers. (See Screen Shot)

Once all your dots are done you can delete the photo layer.
Merge all the remaining layer and save. (see screen shot)

It would take time and patience to get the dots in the right spots but hopefully now you know how to do it if you want to.

HUGS

o

Sue,
That is a BEAUTIFULLY done example for Sapphires to follow.
But please note, it is Shift+D, not Control+D to dupe the original. I know it was an easy error of "speech" but thought I'd mention it.

I want to add that she was following instructions from MonaBlair in Paint, when she came upon that problem but maybe this would help her to do one.

Thank you Mona for something interesting for me to try as Paint is my "second" home.

~Urlee~

o
RE: Dot to Dot Art========

OK,
I just came back from doing what MonaBlaire suggested in Paint, and I think you DO want the "TOP" option which includes the white box around the numbers because then it is easier to erase the picture where you don't have part of the picture behind the numbers to have to erase after?
Check it out. Sounds like an easy way of doing it.

Sapphires, At the bottom, you can change the color of the numbers to white but if you do what I just explained here, leave them black or a dark color of your choice as they would be in a white square.

Sorry Sue if I steered her away but your little tute is a precious one to save for her to learn in PSP.

~Urlee~

o
RE: Dot to Dot Art------------

Whoooops,
Forgot to add-----When it comes time to save your finished job-----Be sure to SAVE AS a DIFFERENT NAME so you will still have the original too!
Or like the picture you are working on is named Mary, when you save the one with numbers, you can name it Mary2.

~Urlee~

o

You can change the color of the numbers to a contrasting color by selecting from the color boxes down at the bottom. I like to use a bright red for darker photos.

o

Sapphires, I have a filter that might work for you.

The fifth one down from the top under "The New Stuff" is called 'Outliner4'. It has several filters, one is called Coloring Book. The less detail in the photo the better it works.

Click "Download" (bottom of page), that will take you to another page, download "The New Stuff." It will show in your plugin list as, DCspecial.

DC Special

Joy

o

Urlee, you're right. If the eraser is leaving a white page, then starting off with an white opaque box and dark number is the easier way to go. I was thinking of another project and lost my train of thought.

o

Hello Everyone,
OMG Thank you all so very much for all the time you put into my request and for the collaboration of help you have all given me. I have printed out every post here and will try my hand at this after company leaves at the end of next week We got unexpected company due to a friends death. I will try it in PSP and in Paint. Of course it will take me alot longer than it did you well experienced artists. It frustrates me at times that I may have a unique idea but not the skill to execute it. I will give it a try. Thank you, you are a great group of kind talented people.

Sapphires

o

Glad to be of help.

~Urlee~

o

Thanks Urlee. Yep the Control+D was a typo - my mind meant SHIFT but my fingers have a mind of their own.

MonaBlair I owe you an apology. I didn't read your post properly and when Sapphires got stuck because the picture was too bright I wrongly thought she was working with PSP and jumped in with a tut.

HUGS

o

No apology needed. But I'm confused..I use Control+C to Copy and Control+V to Paste. Are these other short cuts ya'll are talking about just for PSP?

o

I think so Mona,
I only use it in PSP. (the shift D)
If you have a graphic open in another program, try it.

~Urlee~

o

If I'm in PrintShop and want to have a variety of dupicate styles to choose from (single, tiled, etc.) then I have to use Contol+D. Shift+D does nothing.

o

Good to know.
Thanks for the input.
~Urlee~

o

www.picturedots.com
sounds like this is what you're looking for. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here