Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
??? for PSPX users

Posted by kyry (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 16:02

For all of you that are using PSPX. Hubby looking for something to get me for Xmas. I have PSP7 & 8. If I decide on PSPx, can't see having all three. Love PSP7, trying hard with 8, but have had some freezing up with 8. What do you suggest? Is PSPx worth it, is it much better than 7or8? Do you have more than two on your computers? Have lots of storage on my new puter, but just wondering.
Do all three "get along together"?
Urlee, I see you are having a little trouble finding things in X.Is it completely different than 8? Still haven't mastered 8 yet, due to giving up and going back to 7. And I know you said you fall back on 7 a lot. What do you think?
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ??? for PSPX users

Carol,
I have 7,8, and X on my computer.
I didn't give 8 a fair go at it as I jumped to PSPX.
I just now tried on 8 what I was having trouble with on X and found it works on 8.
Something must be wrong with my PSPX.
I heard of it as not being very stable, having to download fixes for it.
One thing I don't like is, what you save in PSPX can't be opened in PSP7 or 8. You have to change the ?? at the end to .psp.
I can't rate it as of yet but my thoughts as of now is if you have 8 or 9, I say no to getting X.
It does have a few things that may want you to have it but other than that?
What do you think Joy?
~Urlee~

o

I should have said,
Joy would be more qualified to answer this because she has all four from 7 on up and knows more about the PSP's than I do.

~Urlee~

o

Thanks so much for your honest opinion. You answered some of the questions I had, like what you save in X not being able to be opened in 7&8. And what about all the filters& tubes in the others, can they be shared and opened in X. One thing I really like about PSP8 is when using the magic wand not having to hold the shift key down while adding pixels. Another is the one step photo fix.
So I guess the jury is still out on PSPX. I'll give it some thought.
Thanks again,
Carol

o

Hi Carol,
Please by all means hold on to the thought and don't listen too hard to me as I haven't used it enough to give a fair opinion. I may even learn to love it.
I really should use 8 and learn it to be better prepared to compare.
See? I didn't even know about the shift key deal you just posted. Yes, X has the one step photo fix but that didn't impress me as I think you can do a better job manually.

Hang in there. Joy may be able to give you a better reason to or not to buy it.
I am having fun playing but then again, may have the same fun with 8 if I ever try it more. The thing I didn't like about 8, right off the bat was when I was working on an animated graphic which was sent to PSP from AS, when I got done and was ready to send it back, in PSP7, it would ask me if I wanted to save the changes and it would go back to AS where in PSP8 I had to resave with a different ext. and open it up in AS all over again. The same goes for PSPX.

~Urlee~

o

See now Carol,
I just tried the one step photo fix in PSPX and was impressed. AND I even did it on a picture of me! "LOL"

~Urlee~

o

Better run a scan Urlee....you might have caused a problem, with that much stress on your 'puter.

o

Oh oh Elaine,
"I love you too". :)

~Urlee~

o

Note: There is a PSPX Update on the Corel site, for those that already have PSPX.
Update

Carol, I don't know how much help I will be. Each of us uses PSP for different types of projects and that makes a difference in our needs. It doesn't have Animation 3 with it. You have to have a previous version or (I guess) buy Animation separate.

My first PSP was 7. When 8 came out, I updated to 8. When 9 came out, I updated to 9. Now, I have PSPX. As I updated, I never went back, each new version had additional new effects and/or tools. So far I like PSPX, I haven't had any trouble with it.

I have all three versions on my puter and they live happily together. The only reason I keep all of then is, if I'm helping some one, I need them to remember where things are in each version.

The first thing I do when I install a new version is, take the time to customize the new version. I put the tools and Icons in the same place as the previous version so that I don't have to hunt, it takes time but it's worth the extra time. I just finished doing that with PSPX, every thing is in the same place as PSP9. Other than the new effects, I can't even tell the difference between 9 and X. After I customize, I save the the new workspace and name it custom1. When I do have a problem all I have to do is go to File/Workspace and reload and it corrects the problem.

As time goes by there will be less tutorials and certainly no updates for the previous versions, especially PSP7.

The bottom line is, I'm happy with PSPX. It has some new features, and it loads faster than the previous versions.

Hope this helps...
Joy

o
A few more thoughts....

Carol, if you decide not to get PSPX, my first choice would be PSP9, second choice PSP8, I would not get PSP 7.

All of my plugins and tubes work with PSPX. I went to Preferences/File Locations and added them from the previous versions to PSPX, they all work.

If you get PSPX, read the following site before installing. I did not install the extra things that came on the PSPX CD.
PSP Tips and Tricks....Version X

Joy

o

Joy,
I did an update awhile back but how can I tell if this is the one I did?

~Urlee~

o

Urlee, go to Help/About Paint Shop Pro....
Mine shows: Version 10.01

You can also go to Help/Check for Updates....when I click, it tells me it can't find any new Updates for my program....I assume that is because, I have already updated.

Joy

o

THANKS Joy,
How stupid can one get?
Yes, mine does say 10.01 and I saw the check for updates and mine did what yours did so I guess I am OK.
Thanks,
~Urlee~

o

Joy, thank you so much for your input. I went to the link you posted, must say just a little scary. I feel just like I did when I installed PSP7 and had no clue what anything did.I remember I had the trial version and you all encouraged me to take the plunge, I did and with all of your help and a link to PSP Iminaginarium I learned how it all worked. I'm sure it just takes getting accustomed to it. Did I understand this correctly, in order to make an animation in PSPX it needs to be saved as a PSP7 extension? What happens then if you do not have or have uninstalled PSP7.
Still debating.
Carol

o

Carol, it is my understanding that you don't make an animation in PSPX. If you were a new user and did not have a previous version, you wouldn't have Animation Shop.

To make an animation you will have to make it in a previous version....in your case PSP7.

I may be wrong, but, the manual doesn't even mention the word animation.

Joy

o

To get the record straight-------
You make the images in PSP.
You make the animation in Animation Shop.
If you have Animation Shop, then you can make the animation using Animation Wizard which calls for your images you had saved previously with .PSP extension.
You make an animation from images you created in PSP7, PSP8, PSP9, and PSPX as long as the extention is .psp and you have Animation Shop. I don't know if Animation shop would be uninstalled along with PSP7 if you chose to take 7 off your computer. It came with PSP7, weren't we lucky? If it was a separate download, then I would think it would stay on your computer.
Here is a screen shot of what to pick when you save your images from PSP8, 9, and X.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you saved with the extention provided when using 8,9, and X, you will get this popup!

Capeesh? "lol"

~Urlee~

o

I thought I had Animation Shop in PSP8 also, or does it show up here just because I have 7 installed?
Carol

o

Hey,
I just checked and also have what you show here.
Yes, it did come with PSP8 also. I just looked on the box that 8 came in. YaY!

~Urlee~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here