Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Balancing scan size/resolution

Posted by readville (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 16:43

I've got a project where I have to scan 100 8x10 B&W photos for printing @(8x10), burn CDs, and send them to a print shop. I know scanning should be @ 300dpi but the file size is HUGE(750k).

My question is how much can I can compress the file and still get a high rez print? What should I be targeting as an ideal file size? Thanks.

Vincent

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Balancing scan size/resolution

How are they being printed and ask what is the resolution of the output? This also depends on the output size. If you scan in 8.5x11 at 300 dpi and shrink the scan to half size, the resolution doubles to 600. What is this for? Brochures?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here