Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making copies of a DVD

Posted by davestexas (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 12:38

Recently I had a DVD made from an old 8mm film of home movies originally made in the late 40s/early 50s. I had two DVDs made and now I want to make at least 4 more.
I can make another 50mi trip and have them made at the business I used to make the DVDs, but it takes weeks/weeks to do. I don't want to have it done at a Walgreens/some-such place either......they copyright everything they do.
I want to do this DVD duplication myself. What do I need to accomplish this project?
Thanks
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making copies of a DVD

Unless they're encrypted you could probably use Nero or similar.

If they are encrypted, personally, I would probably use either DVD Shrink or DVD Decryptor. They're both well respected "freeware" tools.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I've ripped/copied DVDs.

o

Since post I've been able to copy the DVD into My Documents and it plays the WMP and Power DVD. I can not get WMP to make a duplicate tho using either my desktop or laptop. It's frustrating......

o

When you copied the DVD to My Documents, did you end up having a single large file with an extension of ISO, IMG, NRG, something like that?

Or do you have a folder called VIDEO_TS?

Either way, you might try burning it using ImgBurn. It's a good freeware burner, I think maintained by the same person that wrote DVD Decryptor.

Doesn't Power DVD burn DVD files? I don't remember if it does or not. If it does, you wouldn't even need ImgBurn.

Good luck.

o

A number of files, but the _TS is the biggest and the one that plays the disk and the audio track that was laid onto it.
All I see on the Power DVD is a player with its function control. WMP is supposed to 'rip'/'burn'/etc., but either it doesn't like the type of file or I don't know what I'm doing.....(+1).

o

"You can use it to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder),"

That's from the description of ImgBurn so it sounds like it would probably work.

BTW, if you right-click the VIDEO_TS folder and look at the properties, is it more than 4.36 gigs? I know that seems like an odd number but that's what will fit on a single layer DVDR. More than that and you'd either need to use a dual layer DVDR, or use something such as DVD Shrink to size it down to single layer before burning it.

Truthfully, I almost exclusively use Linux now, and when I did Windows, I didn't use WMP much. I don't think you can not burn DVDs with it though, only audio CDs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Of possible interest?

o

The DVD is just under 600MB. The 8mm film was 300'.
I believe you are right that videos can not be burned with WMP.
I was told by a 'guru' at Best Buy that WMP could do it, but....
I'll find ImgBurn and see if that does the trick, thanks!
Dave

o

You're welcome.

Be sure and let us know if you're able to get it burned and how you did it in case someone else that need to do the same thing finds this thread, okay?

o

I downloaded the ImgBurn, but I don't have the vocabulary to know what I need to do. The program indicates it is useful for a novice. I'd hoped there were instructions/procedures to follow, but none. Some 'how to's but without the vocabulary......?
Frustrating.....

o

Yeah, I get that way too. Sometimes it's best to just back away from it for awhile and come back fresh later, or even another day.

Assuming that TS folder contains files with extensions such as ".VOB", ".IFO" and "BUP" which you can play on your computer, you've pretty much got it already.

If you're not sure of the file extensions, this might help you see them: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000573.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: How to burn DVD foler with ImgBurn

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 22:44

o

How simple it is when you have a clue!
First thing I did wrong was trying to use blank CD-Rs.....duh!
I went to a 'guru' store for the right media and was told I needed 'those' discs. Bought em. Turns out that 'those' discs were 'secure'-type discs and I could not get them to work on ImgBurn.
Went to Big Lots and bought a 10-pk of blank DVD-R. ($4)
First try out of the box, success! Made 3 more copies to send to family members.
I very-much appreciate the good help, thanks!

Dave

o

Great to hear!

Now you'll be the expert if one of your family members tries to make an extra copy.

I think I can remember DVD-R's for $1 each and thinking it was a good deal. Now they're much better and much much cheaper.

Richard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here