SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liatris1

Printer recommendations?

Liatris
18 years ago

We've been using a HP printer (Deskjet 710C) for the past 4 or so years, and DH has finally (thankfully) gotten to the stage where he's fed up with its misbehaving. It doesn't want to know about anything other than genuine cartridges - forget about trying to use it with refills, and it flatly refuses to play nicely on our network. Anyway, he pulled the cartridge out for some reason or other last night and now that he's put it back in, it keeps insisting there's an ink problem and sits flashing defiantly. He's pulled it out again and cleaned the heads etc etc, but nothing seems to work. So we're on the look out for a new printer.

I don't want a solution to the current problem, apart from perhaps to be able to pass on a working printer to someone who needs one, even if it's just to use up the ink that's in it. What I'd like to know is if you folks can recommend a GOOD inkjet printer.

DH's use is limited mainly to printing out text, and maybe the odd map etc. What I need is something that will print out good photo quality pics, which are durable - won't fade anytime soon and are waterproof to a degree.

A year or so ago when I began researching alternative printers I thought the Epsom DuraBrite inks sounded promising, but I'm guessing they're not readily available in refill form?!

Hubby is impressed by the Canon (I think he said) printers at his workplace, for the simple fact that they have individual ink cartridges that DON'T have the printheads built into them and so they can be repeatedly refilled fairly cheaply. While this sounds great in theory, my concern is that if we have a printer that is not of use for crafty-type stuff and printing out plant pics simply because they won't last more than 5 minutes in our humid climate, then it's just not worth spending the $.

We don't need the absolute latest and greatest (being in Australia we'd have to wait a while for it to be available here anyway), just something that fits both our needs.

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Pam

Comments (6)

Sponsored