Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jasc psp vs Corel psp

Posted by judys_ont (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 15:57

As you all probably know, Jasc PSP is now Corel PSP.
I was wondering if anyone has used both and can tell me the comparison.

I just lost Jasc PSP ver 8, when my hard drive failed. I mainly used it for photo editing.
I liked it because it had a lot of options, like re-sizing photos in inches, ability to change resolution, and it provided rulers.
Can anyone tell me if the Corel version is much different that Jasc where I can you resize in inches and see a ruler?

It would be nice if some of the free photo editing programs would provide those options, but I don't know of any. I've tried Irfanview and Picasa but didn't like them.

Maybe someone can suggest another program you like, not necessarily freeware.

tx-Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jasc psp vs Corel psp

I believe they are the exact same program, Corel bought the company is all

o

Good to know they didnt mess with it.

o

I did a little research on Corel PSP and apparently for people living outside of the U.S., the price is somewhat inflated. Therefore I cannot find the product in Canada.
I also read that it contained a few bugs.

Does anyone know of a comparison photo editing product that will give me the things I had in PSP?
As mentioned, I want to have:
-the choice of measurement units (pixes and inches),
-be able to select resolution when resizing,
-have the ability to view rulers in my Window

Judy

o

Judy have you ever visited Red Flag Deals? It is a Canadian site where all the younger population (and me) go to post and view the best prices. A valuable tool. 50% of the members are around the greater Toronto area.

You might consider advertising on the buy and sell forum there, you never know who has Paint Shop Pro and no longer need it.

I see Corel want $99 for version 12 yet Amazon.com has used copies of version 9 for $12.99 and up. However they do not ship to the Great White North yet they ship to many other countries.

You can download the free Gimp photo editing program. This is a full featured program but there is a learning curve - as there is with all higher end photo editing software. Or if your aims are more modest you could give Irfanview or Xnview a try. Both are free, both are very versatile. Be sure to grab the plugins if you download Irfanview

Here is a link that might be useful: RedFlagDeals Canada

o

owbist-

Sorry to be so long in replying, but I've been away for a few days.

I'll look into Red Flag Deals and Gimp, as my sister needs something that's free. I had a look at Irfanview last year, but found it didn't give me I wanted.

I ended up biting the bullet and purchased Corel ULead. I downloaded the trial version onto my laptop and although it is quite overblown, I really like the options of measurement units and resizing it provided.
I wanted this program on my desktop so I purchased the CD for that. The lesson here for me was-buy the CD. If you lose your hard drive, you've lost your downloaded programs.

Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here