SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outspoken1

Scanning and enhancing a B&W photo to read date

outspoken1
15 years ago

Dear Kind Folks:

I am working on my parents (in their mid-70's) genealogy as a Christmas present. I have found some old, but clearish B&W photos taken in the 1920s-30s of a monument (tombstone) that has the name of my great-grandfather or great-grandmother in Nancy, France. I can make out the last name using a 10x magnifying glass, in part because I know the last name. I can't make out the rest, though.

So, my plan is to scan in and using Paint Shop Pro X2 to enhance somehow to read the text (hopefully).

Question 1. What DPI should I use to scan in the photo?

Question 2. I own PSP X2, but only use about 2% of its capabilities. If someone gives me detailed directions, I can use filters (and I know how to change the settings on filters) or other features to help me read this photo.

Question 3. Is there a better-easier way I am totally missing to accomplish my goal?

OR... if someone tells me the way (DPI, etc.) the photo should be scanned and uploaded to this forum, I would be happy to do so. OR... I would be happy to email the scan(s).

I am getting some more photos tomorrow to look through, so I may find more treasures that need enhancing for information. Please consider this a treasure hunt of my French relatives who fought in WWI and in the French Resistance during WWII. I am trying to see if any of my other relatives even survived WWII. My grandparents and (eventually) mother emigrated in 1946, so they don't really know about any remaining family. (I thought this request would make more sense if I explained the background.)

Thanking you in advance for your kindness,

Sandra

Comments (2)

Sponsored