Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scanning and enhancing a B&W photo to read date

Posted by outspoken1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 08 at 23:57

Dear Kind Folks:

I am working on my parents (in their mid-70's) genealogy as a Christmas present. I have found some old, but clearish B&W photos taken in the 1920s-30s of a monument (tombstone) that has the name of my great-grandfather or great-grandmother in Nancy, France. I can make out the last name using a 10x magnifying glass, in part because I know the last name. I can't make out the rest, though.

So, my plan is to scan in and using Paint Shop Pro X2 to enhance somehow to read the text (hopefully).

Question 1. What DPI should I use to scan in the photo?

Question 2. I own PSP X2, but only use about 2% of its capabilities. If someone gives me detailed directions, I can use filters (and I know how to change the settings on filters) or other features to help me read this photo.

Question 3. Is there a better-easier way I am totally missing to accomplish my goal?

OR... if someone tells me the way (DPI, etc.) the photo should be scanned and uploaded to this forum, I would be happy to do so. OR... I would be happy to email the scan(s).

I am getting some more photos tomorrow to look through, so I may find more treasures that need enhancing for information. Please consider this a treasure hunt of my French relatives who fought in WWI and in the French Resistance during WWII. I am trying to see if any of my other relatives even survived WWII. My grandparents and (eventually) mother emigrated in 1946, so they don't really know about any remaining family. (I thought this request would make more sense if I explained the background.)

Thanking you in advance for your kindness,
Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scanning and enhancing a B&W photo to read date

Hi Sandra,
I own an Epson 4490 Photo scanner and just place my photo on the bed and when my warm up light stops blinking, I push the button, it then opens my program. Then I choose Photogragh and click on preview to scan so my picture appears so I can do my cropping (see the dotted frame around pic) and what other adjustments if needed. Then I click on Scan for my final.
I pick Printer so it scans LARGE for easier editing and print outs and I can make it smaller after, if I choose to send in e-mail or post on a forum.
I shall upload a screen shot with further descriptions hoping it makes sense to help in any way.
By choosing Printer, the cropped picture went from 2550x3509 pixels to 900x1183 cause you do NOT want to scan the bed along with your photo making the photo tiny and all in all a humongous file.
If I chose screen/web, the picture would be 297x373 pixels which is WAY TOO small to be of value.
Urlee

o
Scanning info

Hope this helps in some way:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here