Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
going out on a limb---favor to ask

Posted by Amy_z6_swPA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 15:07

Hi all,

Well I am looking for a couple of particular movie stills and the place where I'd usually ask is temporarily out of service. I have searched and searched for these pics but can't find any.

Can anyone here do movie stills from their DVD player? If so, do you have the movie Troy (2004)? I need 2 shots of Briseis' blue gown near the end of the movie. One showing the upper half (where the gown has cutouts), and one full shot showing the shape of the whole dress, if possible.....

If anyone can do this, let me know please, I'll be eternally grateful! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: going out on a limb---favor to ask

Hi Amy
I'm not sure if I can help or not but didn't want you to feel ignored.

I know my son has the Troy DVD and my computer has a dvd player but whether I can take still shots of it I just don't know.

I'll look into it and get back to you.
hugs
Sue :)

o

Me again
I'm really sorry Amy but I couldn't do it :(
Can't take a still picture from the movie. But I hope someone will be able to come to your rescue.
Sue

o

Thanks for trying Sue. I too have that setup but you need to have the special capture device in order to do it. There are lots of captures of the movie on the internet, but not the shots I need :(

o

Can you pause it and do a print screen and paste it into your favorite image editing program?

Rebecca

o

Hi Rebecca
Unfortunately not. That was what I was thought too but the image actually moves even as a captured shot - very very strange to see.

HUGS

o
hmmmm....

So strange. I put in a DVD and played it in Window Media Player. I was able to pause and do a pring screen and bring it into photoshop. But, when I would go to save all it would save was a blank black screen. This has got me curious now.

o

LOL Be warned Rebecca it's addictive. I was trying with Paintshop and even though I kept failing I had to keep trying and tryng and trying - LOL it got to be a bit addictive :)
Have fun and if you figure it out please share the knowledge.

o

I think I have it. Click on thumbnail to see the full pic (it's a big .bmp file) of the menu from the movie 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'. I found a free download off tucows.com that captures images called Any Capture. http://www.tucows.com/preview/237902 Man I love a challenge!

Rebecca

o
capture images

WOW. Great work Rebecca.
Amy where are you? Grab that download and go snag some dresses. :)

Thank You Rebecca

o
Movies

Forgot to say how much I enjoyed that movie Rebecca.

o
A step by step

Wow, I rock!

I just got the movie tonight and have not watched it yet. My son has read all the books.

OK, in Any Capture this is the steps I took:

1. Find the scene in the movie and pause it.
2. Open Any Capture.
3. On the menu, click Capture>Enable DirectX Capture
4. Go back to the paused movie and hit the Scroll Lock key.
5. It will then automatically switch back to Any Capture and you screen shot will appear.
6. File>Save As and then save it as a .bmp. No other file type will work for some reason.

You can also practice with your desktop capturing it.

I hope this is clearer than mud! I am happy that I have learned something new today!

Rebecca

o

Wow, 11 responses! Thanks everyone! It's true, most DVDs have anti-theft protection on them so you cannot copy & paste anything from them on your PC. That's why I mentioned that you do need a special capturing device to do it successfully.

I am definitely going to download that tucows program, which I didn't know existed (otherwise I'd have been doing my own captures a long time ago LOL). Thank you very much for finding that for me Rebecca.

The reason I requested captures was that I plan to do a pixel doll of Briseis in that gown. (for anyone who doesn't know, I am a pixel doll artist and have posted a few of my dolls here in the past).

THANKS AGAIN! I will let you know how it goes! :)

o

Your welcome Amy! Tucows is a great resource for finding free and shareware software trials. That is where I found a trial of PSP 9 to play with.

Would love to see your pixel dolls!

Rebecca

o

Well, bad news. I already had AnyCapture (by Tucows) installed on my PC, which means I tried it twice now with no luck. The program takes the capture, but the image moves around and saves as nothing but a black box.

I don't understand how so many people have made their own stills from this movie. They must have high-tech capturing devices, the kind that hook up to your DVD player on your TV.

Anyway, I'll just have to do my doll while watching and pausing the movie a lot.

Thanks for the help anyway. I will email you my pixel doll website link :)

o

Amy I had the same thing happen :(
Maybe it's some sort of protection in our players that Rebecca is able to bypass.
Sue.

o

Amy,
While in the pause mode, can you take a picture of it with your camera hoping there is no scanning lines?
Then download your pictures to your computer.
I have gotten my desktop that way in a picture which looks like it matched the camera speed?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
~Urlee~

o

Hi again,

I found in the Tucows FAQ that to solve the problem you can disable the hardware acceleration in the program that's running the DVD (i.e. Windows Media Player), so I did that, but I still couldn't make any captures.

Urlee, that's not a bad idea, however I don't have a digital camera (YET----I'm planning to buy myself one later this year if I can).....

o

Well, I never did get the movie stills, and I was anxious to do this doll (not sure why LOL), so I ended up replaying the scene and pausing a lot and did my doll. I am very happy with it. I figured I'd post it here for you to see since I made a big thread out of the subject LOL:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(do not adopt)
body base by Solace.

o

Amy - FANTASTIC!!!!!
We watched Troy last night and you have portrayed her very well - LOL please don't ask me her name - Portius or something wasn't it.

o

Thank you Sue! It is Briseis. :) A few months ago I did Hector, in the outfit he and Paris wear on the ship heading for Troy. That was my first Troy doll. I think the only other one I might do is Helen, in the white and gold dress.

o

She is beautiful Amy! Glad you found a solution!

Rebecca

o

Thanks Rebecca! :) It was difficult because the entire scene is comprised of her running, and there is only a split second where they show a full-body shot of the dress. The rest of the time is from the chest up. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here