Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has the brains------------

Posted by Urlee (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 10:44

to figure this one out?
It's got to be SIMPLE, that's why I can't figure it out! "LOL"
Using PSP8. UGH!
Both cirles are the SAME size. The top one, I made the canvas size a tad larger for room to work on.
Top image size 225x225
Bottom image size 210x210

WHY does the bottom one drag over so small and the top one stays the original size I want?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

WHY does the top have Layer one in the palette box and the bottom shows up as merged?
How can I get the merged one to be layer one?
Is that the reason why one stays the same size when dragged over?

Hope I don't sound too stupid!
If it is something too simple, I will be embarassed.

~Urlee~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has the brains------------

(insert Twilight Zone music)
Hi Urlee, Don't you just hate it when PSP goes weird on ya? LOL

Seriously, my first guess would be resolution. If the canvases were created at different resolutions they could look the same on screen and be different sizes in print, and you noticed the difference when you put them on the paper in Print Layout.

Look at the Print Information for both canvases and see what it says. If the rulers were visible in both canvases the difference would be noticable too.

PSP renames a layer as Merged when it is the result of merging layers together. You can change it to Layer 1 by renaming it. If you have 2 layers and use Merge Down to merge them, instead of Merge Visible, the result will have the name of the bottom layer.

Jill

o

Jill,
I did examine & compare image information of both and that is what puzzled me. Couldn't see any difference?

If the rulers were visible in both canvases the difference would be noticable too.

Is this what you mean? Like I say, I did make one canvas size a tad larger but the circles are the same.

~Urlee~

o

(Twilight Zone music gets louder...)

Well, that's just weird!

By the way, what did Image Info say the res (Pixels per Inch) was for each?
I take it the rulers are set to pixels, in which case you wouldn't see a difference if they are different res.

Jill

o

Hey, You may be on to something there, Jill

That's one thing I overlooked and found them to be different but the question is, How'd that come about?

#4 is 72.000 and #11 is 200.000 Something I am unfamiliar with doing?

~Urlee~

o
RE: Who has the brains------------000000

May I add-------One is in inches and the other cm!

How in the?

~Urlee!

o
RE: Who has the brains------------????????

OH I KNOW!

Does it have to do with the Transparent image I opened?
I noticed a place there where you change the res from inches to cm's.
I will give that a try and if that is what happened, Jill you deserve the biggest hug I can give for solving my problem and teaching me something I was unaware of!

~Urlee~

o
RE: Who has the brains--00000

I give up!
That didn't work so far either.
I quit for tonight.

G'night all.

~Urlee~

o

Storms coming here, gotta get off. I'll try to post later to explain what's going on with the res.

Jill

o

Resolution is confusing because you are dealing with 2 different measurements and 2 different systems for the UNITS of measurement. You have image dimensions (print size of the image) and pixel resolution (number of pixels in the image) which can each be in one of the two different units of measure (inches or centimeters). Then throw in a ruler that can have THREE different units of measure (inches, centimeters and pixels) and you have the all the ingredients for total confusion.

If both circles are the same size in pixels (200 pixels in diameter) then they will look exactly the same on the screen at 100% because on the screen at 100% ONE PIXEL = ONE PIXEL.

The resolution of #4 is 72ppi (pixels per INCH) and the resolution of #11 is 200ppcm (pixels per CENTIMETER).

While the screen (at 100%) always displays 1 pixel at the same size (unless you change screen resolution), the printer makes pixels different sizes to match the image resolution of the image being printed.

Here #4 is 200 pixels wide at 72ppi (INCH) making the printed image 2.777" wide.
200 pixels divided by 72 pixels per INCH = 2.777 inches.

Then we have #11 which is 200 pixels wide at 200ppcm (CENTIMETERS) which makes the printed image 0.39" wide.
200 pixels divided by 200 pixels per CENTIMETER) = 1 centimeter, 1 centimeter = 0.39 inches.

Whew!! That's why you have a BIG DOT and a little dot when you print.

Now, the moral of this story is... when working with 2 images they need to have the same resolution. And to make sure they have the same resolution:
1. keep the UNITs of measure the same - all inches or all centimeters.
2. keep the resolution the same - if those 2 circles were heads in 2 different pictures and you wanted to swap one for the other you would end up with a tiny head or a giant head, depending on which way you swapped.
3. set the ruler to a meaningful unit of measure - pixels are fine if you are only working for screen display but inches (or centimeters) will be more useful when working for print.

I hope that made sense. Does it help?

Jill

o

Holy Cow! Jill.
Have mercy on me!

That explanation is as high tech as asking me what makes our computers tick? "LOL"

With #11, I must have been trying to make another #4 and why and how it ended up the way it did is still a mystery?

I have yet to experiment to see if I can do another #4?
That's the one I'd be using as a pattern for my project as it is the exact size I want.
Do you have the answer to that? "lol"
If I use #11 in PSP8 print layout, I'd have to pull it to size and having to guess to how much would not do well in my case.
And again we have the Layer verses merge thingy mystery?

~Urlee~

o

Urlee, if you need more than one of the #4 on your print layout just keep dragging #4 on to the layout. You can put it on there as many times as you want.

If you want more than one exactly like #4 in PSP (to change colors or something like) that just Shift+D when #4 is active and you will get an exact duplicate with a new image number.

Jill

o

Yes, I knew I'd hear that reply back as I do know enough to do it that way but I am stubborn to want to see how to make another #4. "lol"

~Urlee~

o

Ahhhh... Stubborn. I can relate to stubborn. :-D

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here