SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacksmum_gw

Amy - colorised Tut

jacksmum
18 years ago

Hi Amy

I remembered you wanting a tutorial to do color/Black and white images like the one Rebecca posted of Coty.

Hope this helps

Sue :)

http://www.bearzcave.com/colorisedtutorial.htm

PS I haven't tried it yet..

Here is a link that might be useful: colorise tut

Comments (41)

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Thank you Sue! I am going to do the tut right now and I'll post my results. :)

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

I didn't think this method would produce such realistic results as the Coty pic but it turned out really well! Thanks again! :)

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Amy, another way to colorize B/W (PSP 8-9) if you are starting with a colored image, that is....

Open image > Shift D > close original.
    In layer palette : Dup Background layer.
    Close Background (bottom layer)
    Highlight: Copy of background layer (layer 2)
    To De-saturate:
    Hue/Saturation/Lightness > Click Reset > Click Colorize > OK
    Open background layer
    Lower opacity on Copy of background (top layer) so you can see the bottom colored layered.

*Erase the top layer where you want the color to show.
    If you make a mistake, switch to right mouse button to paint back.
    Use a fairly soft eraser, Hardness 50 or lower (0 for edges).

You can magnify the image size and raise and lower the opacity for better vision.

Change the opacity back to 100%
    Merge Flatten/Save

Tip:
    *When you are erasing on the edges or places that are tricky, click, hold down shift key, move brush forward and click again, or....
    click, hold down shift key and continue click, click, click as you move the brush.
    Don't move too far at one time....if you have to UNDO, it will only UNDO a small amount of work.
    Change the brush size as needed.

Joy

• mst___
    18 years ago

Hi , I haven't been around in a long time. I saw this tut and remembered I had done something similar to it a while back. Thought I'd post it. He is my grandson.
    Teri

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

I've been doing this every year for Christmas...my method is very simple..not quite as involved as the one listed above... I guess there are several ways to get from one point to the other..

can post it if anyone is interested. I guess there are several ways to get from one point to the other..

• jacksmum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybee I'd love to know your method.
    I've done it a different way too and love hearing new tips and tricks.

{{!gwi}}

My way is to select the area I want left colored with the free hand selection tool - point to point.
    Then copy that selection as a new image.
    Back to original image - colors - greyscale then increase color depth back to 16 million.
    Now go get the selection and copy and paste as a new layer on top of the black and white photo.
    Merge layers and save.

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

Open your photo...
    Copy your photo...
    Paste as New Image...
    One the new photo, change it to grey scale (go to Colors, Grey Scale).
    Copy the grey scale photo...
    Go back to your original photo (the color one)
    Paste as New Layer (it will turn your original color photo to grey scale).
    Click on the eraser on your picture toolbar...
    "Erase" the parts of the photo you want to show colored. When you do this, it will erase the b/w pic and show through the behind layer..which is the color photo...

This is the easiest way I have found to do this....

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Maybe, even easier...

Open photo
    Shift-key plus D....makes a duplicate (close original)
    Duplicate the background layer on Layer palette
    On copy of background.....use Greyscale
    The background layer is already colored...start erasing.

Joy

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Nice job everyone! Maybee yours are wonderful. I like the idea of just layering one B/W and one color and then just erasing. :)

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Wow, these are all great! I think it is really a fun technique. Love the Christmas tree!

Here is a couple more that I have done in the past.

{{!gwi}}

Rebecca

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

One more version....Joy

• reduc500
    18 years ago

What can I tell you. I messed up again. I had mine all uploaded and realized I didn't colorize one sleeve so just pretend you don't notice!! haha
    {{!gwi}}

• reduc500
    18 years ago

I just tried Sues way and that was easy if you like doing selections!!
    {{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

This is a good thread, keep it going....Joy

One more...

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

This one has color....
    {{!gwi}}

• jacksmum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

These are fabulous.
    huGS

• reduc500
    18 years ago

I took this picture of Jenna last night and figured I needed to do something with it.
    {{!gwi}}

• urlee
    18 years ago

OH, I LOVE ALL OF THESE!!!!!!!

Such beautiful SHARP pictures!!
    I don't know which one to choose for the way to do it but am sure going to try and hope mine come out as great as all of these!
    LOVE this thread!
    ~Urlee~

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Awesome ones, Rebecca & Judy! Judy the babies are beautiful too! :)

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

I started this two years ago...I make 4 x 6 copies and frame them and give them to the other grandmother and his parents. I call them my, "Christmas is Magic" series...

Joy..how do you do it with just the features showing?

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

Sorry that one was so large...it looks grainy this way, but you can get the idea of what I do for Christmas

• reduc500
    18 years ago

Those are the best kind of presents Maybee. I love things that are homemade.
    And the subject matter is pretty cute too.
    Judy

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Maybee, regarding the 'features' pics....

First you get it as light as you can without losing the features (I used Levels), then you use a white paint brush and remove all unwanted areas. Use the Burn/Dodge tool if needed, to lighten or darken around eyes etc.

I did two pics of my dog :-)....Joy

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Rebecca, do you recognize your gray cat ? :-) I couldn't resist....with & without color.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Keep in mind - it's my first try at this, you girls were having too much fun.

This was taken at my grandaughters Gr. 8 graduation 2 weeks ago, my daughter Sue, my grandaughter Kaleigh and the old lady isn't the one graduating from Gr. 8.

{{!gwi}}

Elaine

• reduc500
    18 years ago

Is that you Elaine? It's nice to be able to put a face with a name.
    Nice job.
    Judy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Congrats Elaine,
    Terrific job!
    I've been pretty busy so haven't had a chance to do mine and when I did come on the puter, I made a thingy for a friend of mine.

~Urlee~

• amy_z6_swpa
    18 years ago

Great job Elaine! She's in grade 8???? I can't believe how grown-up kids look these days compared to when I was that age, in the 1980s.

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Yep Grade 8 - amazing isn't it? They aren't allowed to be little girls too long. I won't mention what decade I was in Grade 8, but think of pigtails and long brown stockings in the winter. Yucky! We survived though.
    Yep Judy, that's me.

Elaine

• maybee_gw
    18 years ago

Hey..I remember those long brown stockings..what was with that anyway?

• jacksmum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW Elaine - Three Beautiful women! Thanks for sharing that one :)

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Thank you Sue, I love them both of course.
    Elaine

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Ladies - can someone help me? I wanted to remove the picture above that I posted. It was uploaded to an msn site so I could post in the first place. Normally, if I go back to the site - delete the picture, then it is no longer availabe to see (which is what I want in this case).

I deleted the picture, and it's still showing up here....weird, but true. I've refreshed, rebooted the computer and it's still showing up. I want it off now, and don't know what else to try.

Elaine

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Elaine, you will have to remame (or remove) the URL from MSM....you need to break the link between MSN and Graphics & Scanning.

Joy

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Elaine, in case you deleted the URL....some times, it takes hours or days for the picture to disappear. I've seen that happen with other photo sites. If you have broken the link it will eventually disappear.

Joy

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Thank you Joy - I'll just wait and keep and eye on it. I'm not sure how I would "break the link between MSN and Graphics & Scanning - I just figured if I deleted the picture it would disappear. There is no hurry, but I thought maybe I did something wrong in the attempt. I'm sure I have deleted pictures from msn site before and they no longer showed up.
    Patience.
    Elaine

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Elaine, when you say you "deleted the picture", did you delete the URL (or the file for that pic) in MSN ?
    If you can access and change (the name), or delete the file of the one you have posted (in MSN), it should disapear.

Joy

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Joy, I have a site at msn that I opened to store pictures. It's actually a group, but I just use it to store pictures that I want to post on the web. I have 19 tags or graphics posted there. Today I deleted the picture above so it would no longer show up on the site. Using the file detection tool, and checking under My Pictures.....the above picture is no longer there. I cannot access the picture because it is no longer on msn. I've deleted tags before and they simply stop showing up on Graphics and Scanning. Don't know what happened this time, or why it won't go away - I have no way of changing the name when it isn't there any more.

Always problems! - Elaine

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Elaine, looks like you're going to have to wait it out and hope it disappears...or, email your group.

Sorry...we can't say we didn't try :-)
    Joy

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Thanks for trying Joy - I opened that group, I am the one and only member - I was just using it for a space to put photos. Someone told me a long time ago that I could do that and it worked until now. I guess I'll just wait, there's really nothing more I can do. Thanks again.

Elaine

• Elaine_Canada
    18 years ago

Yahoo! Look Joy - it's gone.......took 24 hrs. but I feel better now that it's gone. Someone once told me it really isn't safe to post pictures of children on the net, so I didn't want to leave it up too long.

I'm so happy it's gone - thanks again for trying to help me- but patience was the word. Not my strong suit by any means, but I do try to be patient "sometimes".
    Elaine

Sponsored