SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacksmum_gw

Tutorial for Teri

jacksmum
18 years ago

I used PSP7 but any version will work.

You need the Toadies plugin

which can be downloaded from here: http://hem.passagen.se/grafoman/plugtool/plugs.html#toadies

Open the picture you want to use

Shift + D to make a copy - close original so you don't accidently save changes.

{{!gwi}}

Crop the photo and resize

I used pixel size to resize and made the longest measurement 400 - Make sure maintain aspect ratio is selected.

Effects - sharpen.

Shift + D to make a copy. Minimise one photo for later and continue working on the other.

Effects - Plug in filters - Toadies - Blast n Blur

x effect 5

y effect 17 Click OK

Effects - Plug in filters - Toadies - Plain Mosaic Blur

cell width 15

cell height 23

cell edges on/off 18

OK

It should look something like this:

{{!gwi}}

Now bring up the minimised photo - the one without the plug ins.

Use the freehand tool - point to point - feather 0, anti alias checked. Cut around the part of the image you want to use - it doesn't have to be too neat but try and stay inside the area you want selected.

While it's still selected - Go to Selections - Modify - Feather - 3 pixels - OK

Leave it selected Edit - Copy

Go back to the other picture - the background one.

Edit - Paste - as new layer.

Move the image into place on the background.

Layers - Merge all

Save.

That's it. You've finished and have something like this:

{{!gwi}}

I hope this makes sense. Any questions? Just ask and I'll try to help.

Sue :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Toadies Plugin

Comments (40)

• mst___
    18 years ago

Thank Sue. You explained it perfectly :- )
    Teri

{{!gwi}}
    Oops, It turned out larger than I expected it to.

• reduc500
    18 years ago

Here's my stab at it.
    {{!gwi}}

• jacksmum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Teri and Judy you both did great - cute kids.
    I'm glad my tutorial made sense. I actually printed myself a copy otherwise I'll forget myself how to do it. I was just playing with the plugins and liked the look of how it came out.
    HUGS

• urlee
    18 years ago

Hey, Those are darling!

I got lost on the plugin site.
    Was in a foreign languge and I didn't know where or what to click to download?

~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

This is what I get.
    Did my popup blocker block it as it is blank in the middle?

{{!gwi}}

• mst___
    18 years ago

Urlee, Here's another site you can get toadies from.

Here is a link that might be useful: toadies

• urlee
    18 years ago

Thanks Teri.

• jacksmum
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry Urlee
    I didn't actually check the link as I already had toadies installed.
    It's one of the better filters with lots of good effects.
    HUGS

• urlee
    18 years ago

Why This? PSP8

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, the Toadies filter should be inside of the plugin folder.

The File Location (your screen print), should end with the word plugins, not Toadies....you should not see the word Toadies in the Preferences.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Joy,
    How do I undo that? Or fix it?

I extracted the Toadie download to a separate folder named toadies which is located in a separate folder named PSP Stuff on my c drive with sub folder named Plugins with sub folder named toadies .
    Confusing? Hope you could follow me cause I barely could. "lol"
    Maybe this will help to show my route?

{{!gwi}}

Another separate one I just did: I just extracted it to: Programs, Jasc Software Inc., PaintShop Pro8, Plugins----and it still won't work?
    Is that the right way? But what to do in the preference part of it now?

~Urlee~

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, when you installed the PSP8 program, it put a file called "My PSP8 Files" in your My Documents. The reason Jasc did that is, if you have to reinstall, or you lose PSP8 for some reason, you won't lose the plugins you have added....or, anything else you added (brushes, tubes etc.).

I have all of the plugins that I have added (lots of them), in that folder....

C (orD):\My Documents\My PSP8 Files\Plugins

If there is no Plugin folder in the My PSP8 Files, folder, make a folder called plugins.

Delete the one you presently have showing from the Preference/File Location.

Transfer every thing you have added (only the things you have added), to, My Documents/My PSP8 Files, folders....Brushes, Tubes, etc.

Go to Preferences/File Location and click on the Plugins folder....find the "My PSP8 Files" folder in "My Documents" and add it to the File Location. Do that for each one of folders you have added to....Brushes...Tubes etc.

Hope this makes sense....

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Still didn't work this way?
    {{!gwi}}

I downloaded it on my old computer into PSP7 with NO problem and it works! So &^%$* on PSP8? "lol"
    Even Dar (Sugar) is smarter than I.

~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

PS
    I did make a plugin folder and the Toadies is in it.

{{!gwi}}

• urlee
    18 years ago

Could this be the problem?
    Looks like I got NOTHING in the PSP8 folders?

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, did you check to see if the filters are in the plugin folder ? Did you close PSP and reopen after you added the filters ?

Don't worry about the empty folders, they are empty until you add to them. You are using Brushes etc. from the main Jasc PSP8 folder that is under Programs Files. The folders in My Documents/My PSP8 Files are only for things you add.

Tell me exactly what you do (your work flow), when you want to use a filter.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Hi Joy,
    Yes to the first two questions.

Tell me exactly what you do (your work flow), when you want to use a filter.

With my image open in PSP8, I go up to effects, down to plugins, over to Toadies, then click on one from the list.

Is that what you meant?
    I am just wondering if I should uninstall PSP8 and reinstall it? I may have horsed it up by clicking around etc. As long as it works in PSP7, it got me through my project I had wanted to do.
    ~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• urlee
    18 years ago

Joy,
    As it is: I don't have ANY plugins to use in PSP8?
    ~Urlee~

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, I have a separate folder that I open all plugins in, then, I transfer just the filters to My PSP8 Files, plugin folder. I don't put the Readme/zip/etc. in the folder with them....it doesn't hurt, it's just my method. I just wanted you to know why all those things are missing from the screen shot.

When you open the Toadies folder in the My Doc.../My PSP8 Files, list, do they look like this ?

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Good morning Joy------
    They look like this-------
    {{!gwi}}
    ~Urlee~

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, above your filter files it says....
    Owner\MyDocuments\MyPSP8Files\Toadies

It should say...
    Owner\MyDocuments\MyPSP8Files\Plugins\Toadies

The 'Toadies' folder has to be inside of the 'Plugins' folder.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

I'm sorry Joy,
    I clicked on the wrong folder which I now deleted.
    This is the one and I went to preferences etc. and it still won't work.
    {{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, here is my PSP8, Preference, file location, window.

I have PSP 7 & 8 on my puter, so yours will not be exactly the same. As you can see, I also have a path to PSP8 from the PSP7 plugins. All of your filters should be in the Plugin folder, then point only the plugin folder to the PSP8 File Location.

The point is they all end in the word 'Plugin'. After you get it set, close PSP and reopen...they should now show.

Going to be gone for a little while, will check as soon as I get back.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Here's mine.

{{!gwi}}

Joy, I can't imagine what is wrong and appreciate all the time and patience you spent on me.
    I don't want to take up more of your time (don't want you to feel obligated) and know it is hard for you when you don't have hands on to see. I am sure if you were here, you would get it going.
    Funny thing----I don't have any plugins on here where PSP7 came with eye candy. Did your PSP8 come with any?
    Just one thing, do you think it needs to be re-installed?
    I don't have PSP7 on this machine so I know that can't be the problem.

~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• urlee
    18 years ago

Why this? (Here I keep on asking when I released you)

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, that was the thing to do...you have to have both, because, the My Doc.../MyPSP8...only has what you have added after the program was installed.

Now, you need to do that with every thing you add....you don't have to type it in, just 'Browse' for it and click on it. When you type you can make an error and then wonder why it doesn't work :-)

If every thing is working, I see no need to reinstall. You can go to programs\Jasc...PSP8 folder and click on the plugin folder and see what PSP8 came with.

If you want the filters from PSP7, zip the plugin folder and email it to yourself, then, save the folder into My Doc..../My PSP8....plugin folder....delete duplicate filters. Or, only send your self the ones you are missing. Most will work in 8.

Glad it's working,
    Joy

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, we were both posting at the same time...

When you open PSP and click on Toadies from Effects/Plugins do they show ?

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Yes

• urlee
    18 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, I don't know why they don't show in Windows Explorer, they should. My only thought is that, they are in a different folder, they have be somewhere. Are you sure you put them in that folder ? Click on all the folders under plugins and see if you can find them. If they are anywhere (in any folder) under the plugin folder, they will show.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Joy, They DO show in Windows Explorer-----
    It's from Browse in PSP that they don't show.

{{!gwi}}

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, they aren't suppose to show in Browse, they are filter files, they are not Images.

If you want to see what they do (or look like), you have to open a photo (make a duplicate) and try each one on the photo.

Joy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Joy,
    I do open a photo in PSP8.
    Then I go up to Effects, Plugins, then when I click on a plug in, that's when that unable to load popup comes.
    ~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

This Url works that Sue posted for those of you who want her toadies.
    Then go down and click on plugs.html.
    ~Urlee~

Here is a link that might be useful: Toadies

• Joy_CA
    18 years ago

Urlee, do you have any filters that work, is it only Toadies that gives you that message ? Do all filters give you that message ?

There are two DLL files you need in order to use filters, you can get them here....

Here is a link that might be useful: Installing Plugin filter

• reduc500
    18 years ago

Urlee- I just had to reload my plugins and to make toadies work I had to download MSVCRT10.DLL and PLUGIN.DLL
    Worth a shot.
    Judy

• urlee
    18 years ago

Joy----I only have Toadies in My PSP8 files which don't work and Virtual Painter that came with PSP8 in Jascs file which works OK.

Judy, and Joy, Sue had told me of that too. May have to look into that or just download PSP7 into this machine.

I am bushed from trying all things to get it to work yesterday so I am going to lay off it for awhile. Have to finish getting files together to transfer into here from the old computer. Been doing it a little at a time cause I don't want ALL in here as most is stuff I don't use.
    ~Urlee~

• urlee
    18 years ago

Ooooops,
    I forgot to thank you! THANKS!!!!!!!

If you are wondering, (red X's) I have been deleting some thinking too many pics slow this forum up so that's why.
    Just to be safe. Is that right? Or does it make no difference?
    ~Urlee~

Sponsored