Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
digital photos of oil paintings

Posted by ken_in_seattle (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 20:03

Google is no help since china is full of artist who will paint an oil from your photo...

But I have reason to photograph some oil paintings to put on a web site for an art dealer.

The person doing the current photos is getting a lot of reflection from some parts of the painting and since neither of us are actually primarily photographers, I though I would ask here.

Will a strobe or a slave strobe fix the reflection problem?

Is multi point lighting and diffusion the right track or is there some other path I should explore?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: digital photos of oil paintings

Ken,
Is that reflection caused from the window or another lighting source?
I would try to eliminate any flash or glare if possible.
I bet you could get a good answer from the Photography forum.
Urlee

Here is a link that might be useful: Photography

o
RE: digital photos of oil paintings

Oil paintings are very difficult to photograph. Whatever direction the light comes from there is always some part of the paint that will reflect it. The problem is the texture of the brush strokes. There is only one simple answer to this problem: you need to polarize the light.

Least expensive alternative is a polarizing filter for the camera lens. If the painting is heavily textured this won't be enough, but it will help a lot. The tough ones require polarizing filters over the lights which will get a little costly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here