Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desparately Seeking Help With Picture

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 12:28

Hi Everyone,
I have tried to accoomplish this but just can't seem to do it. My goal is to change the faces on these pics to artist black pencil and crop just the faces to insert into a Word Doc I am going to do. Changing the pic to artist black pencil is easy, but do you crop the face after or before changing it to black pencil. Once cropped do you cut and paste as new image, new layer???? I go so lost. Would someone please crop the faces and turn the faces into artist black pencil for me so I can then just have the face pics to use in what I am doing in Word? Thank you. In the pic of the two girls, I only need the child on the right. The second pic well these only one child there, I need her face as well. Thank you ever so much. Perhaps you can tell me how you did it for future reference. I just need the faces not so much of their forehead or hair. Sorry these are so big, I don't know why. These are my granddaughters. Thank you.

Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desparately Seeking Help With Picture

Ahhhh they are adorable.
Hope this is what you meant
Sue :)

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

I know I can't help you but they sure are cute!
Judy

o

Sue,
Those are great!
I wasn't sure as to what she wanted.
Urlee

o

Sue - You did a really great job, cute girls to work with. I wonder what project she is doing in Word with these? Interesting to know what people are doing with their graphics.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Boy Sue, you did a great job on those!
Carol

o

Sue,
That is exactly what I wanted. Would you please email me and tell me step by exactly how you did it. I know I will need that knowledge to do it again in the future.

My granddaughters love hidden pictures or I Spy books. So I wanted to insert and HIDE their face in a hidden picture. It will be a hoot. After they have found all the hidden things and their face I will keep the hidden picture sheet and put in their scrapbook. Perhaps I will hide a pic of their dog or special toy in the next hidden picture.

Sue, thank you so much for helping me with this. I look forward to your instructions on how to do this myself.

Sapphires

o

Hi Sapphires
I'm so glad I was able to help - LOL I must finally be getting the hang of PSP after all these years!!

I have a very busy today so tomorrow I will sit down and redo one and write step by step directions for you.

HUGS

o
Instructions

Back again :)

Hi Sapphires I hope this helps

I thought I'd just put the steps here in case anyone else in interested as well.

Crop pic to a head a shoulders view leaving some background.
Duplicate Layer and work on the duplicated one.
Negative image
Greyscale
Set blend mode to dodge - image will go white (don't panic)
Blur - Gaussian blur - about 3 but play with the setting till your happy with it.
Layers - Merge visible.

Free hand selection tool - point to point, mode - Add, Feather 3. Cut around the area you want to keep - you don't need to be too fussy but try to stay inside the lines you want.

Copy - Paste as new image.

That should be all you need to do.

This is a full face one - sorry about the top of her hair but it wasn't in the photo - you could always clone some in :)

o

Very good Sue,
I did it using 9 and had to search for everything but found them and it worked great!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Hi sapphires - Thanks for explaining your project - I remember you asking about this very thing in the winter I believe it was. You were going to make an I Spy picture for your grandchildren at that time. I just wrote to you and hope you will contact me off the list.

Elaine

o

Sue,
I really appreciate your help. I got lost at CROP! LOL. Once I get the square around the face, what am I clicking on? Cut, Copy what? And then where do I Paste it? Once cropped can't I just use Effects Artist Pencil? Is there a way to do it easier than your above directions. I am so clumbsy with PSP7. If not I will keep trying with your instructions. Thanks for your kindness, time and help. You are ALL great people here.

Sapphires

o

Hi Sapphires.
I'm going to try and write it out in easier to follow steps and add some screen shots for you to follow.

You can use the artist pencil but I find doing it manually gives you more control over the look.

I can't attach files from here to your email so if you email me I can do it as a word document for you.

jacksmum91@hotmail.com

o

Sue I think I followed your instruction correctly but didn't work for me. I am using PSP7.. could that be the problem?
I'll just have to wait for your new instuctions I guess..
Thanks for taking the time to help us.
Sugar

o

Hi Sugar
It should work fine in 7. The tools might be in slightly different places but it can do this. Check you have the feather set to about 3 when using the selection tool.

Email me and I'll send you the document I wrote with step by step instructions. If you're still stuck after that I'll try doing the same thing using PSP 7 (I worked in version 9).

EMAIL:
jacksmum91@hotmail.com

o

Elaine,
I tried emailing you twice and it came back to me. So I emailed you at the hotmail email instead.

Sapphires

o

I haven't received anything on my hotmail address yet, but I'll wait and see if something comes through.

Elaine

o

Sapphires You have mail.
Hope it makes sense :)
Sue.

o

Elaine,
If you have a spam folder check there sometimes my emails get sent there because my addy starts with "medicated", lol.

Sapphires

o

Oh oh - I'm sorry, will you please just send again and I'll be more careful about dumping everything in that folder. I keep it cleaned out. I'll watch for it - sorry.
Just resend please. Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here