SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_fl

PSP filters-plugins

sugar_fl
19 years ago

I have gotten brave enough (I THINK) to try downloading some plugin. I already have eye Candy 3.1 & PaintEngine. I know there is a way to have more but thought I'd start with 3. I know PSP only allows 3 at a time. Which other one would U recommend. I know I need to learn to put on more but how do I do it? Some Tuts are confusing. This is a whole new world to me & a scary time. It seems like every tut uses a different one. I can sure use some advice.

Dar

Comments (34)

• jacksmum
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Sugar
    I downloaded one yesterday. And this is one of the effects :)
    After you download it click the .exe file then follow the prompts placing it in your Paintshop/Plugin folder. The first time you run it you need to put in the registration code - it's free and on the same site as the download. After that it works fine.

I'm using PSP7 and have more that 3 filters.

Have fun.
    Sue :)

{{gwi:2060741}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Vizros plugin

• Summer_NH
    19 years ago

Sugar,

You can have as many as you want in psp, not just 3. I have a lot.

• Related Discussions

Gotta get new computer.. What PSP will work?

Q

Comments (5)
    Take my advise and keep your XP. I recently got a new computer with Windows 7 and I hate it. Your PSP will work, and Animation Shop will also work. I have PSP 7 through 12, but mostly use 10. Very few of my plug-ins/filters will work. When I try to download a filter that isn't working I am given an error message : Access denied, telling me Administrative privileges may be required.... I have not found anyone that can help me with this. Hey, I am the administrator!!!! The only thing I enjoy about it is the 23 inch screen. On my old computer when I clicked on an icon on my screen I was instantly taken to the program. Now, I click sometimes 8 to 10 times before it opens my program. I know you will have to update from XP sometimes but I reallllllly wish I had not. Sorry to be so discouraging but telling you the facts as I am experiencing them. If anyone can help me with these problems I am listening. I do not like Windows Live Mail. I had Outlook Express and was pleased with it.
    ...See More

How to Use PSP

Q

Comments (1)
    That is hilarious!!! SO true! LOLOL
    ...See More

Eye Candy in PSP 8 & 9

Q

Comments (3)
    I GOT IT FIXED I finally just deleted EC 4000 & put it back on & it worked.. I tried what is in the post above but it didn't work. NOW I need a little help in PSP 8 still. I'm getting the message that my auto save is corrupt.. can I fix that? Auto save is VERY important to me as I get booted some.. quite a bit really. Also I can't figure out how to make a gradient from 2 colors in a tube. When I put it on Grad. I always get a black & white grad. Hope I don't have to delete PSP8 & start over But if I have to I will. Dar
    ...See More

psp.....

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Vique I have version 7 and 8. I love version 7. 8 seems a lot slower to load and doesn't seem as friendly BUT maybe if I played with it more I'd change my mind. It does have some great new features like tha automatic photo enhance and warp tool that's lacking in 7. The great thing about PSP is the amount of FREE help online and the availability of plugins, tubes etc. There's a tutorial for everything you could imagine and the help files are brilliant - one of the rare programs where "help" is actually helpful :) I've never seen version 9 so can't comment. Here's a couple of links to download the trial versions (30 day fully functional) of version 7 and 9. Sorry I couldn't find a site that had version 8 for free. Maybe if you had a play with them it would help you decide. Good luck Sue :) Trial Version PSP7 http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Graphics/Image-Editors/psp7-download.html Trial Version PSP9 http://www.corel.com/NASApp/cs/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Downloads/Trials
    ...See More
  • sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sue what is that? It looks 3D is that what yours does?
    PaintEngine didn't have any presets or at least my download didn't give me any. The place I got the link from had the setting to put in & save. It was called Little wave. All it did was blurred the pic which is what they wanted it to do.
    I download to the desk top..is it OK to take it off after I install?

Summer only 3 can be in the file location at a time.. where do U keep the others & not sure how to change filters but haven't tried. I read where they say to not put them in the PSP program files or it will slow PSP down. Where is the best place to put the folder?
    Dar

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

I have lots too, but the ones I use most are Eye Candy 3.1 and 4000. Others I have downloaded are Toadies, Ulead, PaintEngine (not sure what this even does, I've never found a use for it), BladePro, and more (can't think of them right now while at work). Just do an online search for PSP plugins and you'll see lots.

You download them to your C:/Program Files/Jasc Software/Paint Shop Pro #/Plugins folder. They should automatically appear in your plugins drop-down list in PSP once they are installed. If PSP is open at the time, you may have to close it and re-open before they'll show up in the list.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amy are all those plugins a free download? Won't I need something else. Not sure what it's called but I think it organizes them... it is something like commander.
    Dar

• Summer_NH
    19 years ago

Oh, you meant the locations are just 3 choices. Yeah. I thought you meant you can only have 3 plug-in filters. You can have as many filters as you want in a folder, then put the location in one of the 3 spots. I have 52 plug-in filters in a folder.

Here's some inst. I wrote awhile ago about where to put tubes, filters, etc.

Most tubes, plugins, etc. should be installed somewhere other than in your PSP program files. That's because PSP will load real slow if too many of these things are installed in it's program files. And it crashes more often, and it will act slow in doing tasks.

For example, I have a folder in my C drive named "PSP Stuff". But it can be in your Documents folder or wherever. Then in that are sub folders...Plugins, Tubes, Masks, etc. In each of those are more sub folders. For example, the Plug-ins folder has sub folders named for all of the plugins I have. "Factory Filter Gallery A", "Xenofex", etc. Before I download a plugin, I create a new folder named after the plugin in the plugin folder. Then I download that plugin to it's own sub folder named after it and unzip and install to that same folder. It's important to keep them all in their own sub folder because otherwise it will be a mess because one plugin usually contains several files. You may need to find them for one reason or another later and it will be extremely hard if they all aren't in their own (sub) folder.

So the path to one of my folders and one of the files in it is this..."C:\PSP Stuff\PlugIns\Xenofex\Xenofex .exe"

You have to make PSP recognize the folder. Do so by doing this...

In PSP, click on "File / Preferences / File Locations".
    Click on the "Plug-in filters" tab.
    Folder #1 is probably already filled in because it's the default folder.
    So fill in Folder # 2 by clicking on the Browse button.
    Find the path to where you created your new plugin / filter folder.
    Highlight it and then click OK at the box.
    Have the first 2 things here checked..."Enable filters...". and "Include sub folders when searching for filters".
    Now OK the remaining box and all filters you put in the new filter folder and it's sub folders should now work with PSP.

Do the same thing for tubes, etc.
    You have to restart PSP for the filters to take effect.

:)) -:¦:- )
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ~Summer
    ((¸¸.·´ .·´
    ( -:¦:- ((·:

• Summer_NH
    19 years ago

Amy,

I case you don't see it, I have the reply to where to put plug-ins in the reply before this.

Some filters may not work because of the following reasons...

The most common reason for your plug-in filters not showing up is you have to restart PSP for them to take effect.

Or you may need these two files...plugin.dll and Msvcrt10.dll. They go to your Windows\System folder. Or if using Windows XP, they go to your Windows\System 32 folder. Look to see if they are there. If not, I can send them to you.

Another reason they may not show up, is there is a chance they will not unless you have one Adobe program installed. If they don't work/show up and you don't have any Adobe program installed, and you do have the above files in your Windows System or Windows\System 32 folder, then go to the Adobe website and download a free trial of a basic Adobe Graphic Program.

If the filter still doesn't work, be sure to read the HELP file with each filter. Some filters need you to do something special with them beyond the norm.

The commander thing you are talking about is only needed if a filter isn't made for psp, meaning it isn't an 8bf file. Here's how to use that program.

Using Non PSP Filters

You can use non .8bf filters that aren't made for PSP with a free program called "Plug-In Commander Light". It's an easy program to use. The part highlighted in red at the bottom is the actual instructions on how to use the program. But you really need to do the setup first. It's just this once it needs to be done.

You can get the program for free HERE.

If the link is dead, just go to google.com and do a search for Plug-In Commander Light.

Open the program...it's named PiCoLight.exe
    Just OK the "tip of the day" box.
    In the first box, make sure the C drive is in the dropdown box.
    Click on "File / Preferences".

At the General tab, I have nothing checked except the bottom set..."Associate file types with PiCo".
    I have all of those checked under that category.

Under the FF/TF tab, I have Filter Factory 3.0 checked.
    Under the Interface tab, I have Full Row Selection, and search for plugins in all sub folders checked.
    And under Choose FF Editor Interface, I have "Gearwheel Hubbub..." there.

Under the Folders tab, here is where you let it know where your plugins are saved to.
    Just click on the ADD button and navigate to your folder and double click on it.
    Put all folders that your plugins are at here. You may have more than one like me.
    You don't have to put your sub folders there, because you enabled that under the interface tab.

Under the Images tab, I have nothing there, but auto add is checked.
    Under the Apps, I have nothing there either, but the auto add is checked there too.
    Under the Plugin Types tab, I have everything checked.
    Now OK this box.

This Is How To Use Plug-In Commander Light...

In the first box, click on the "File View" tab.
    You should see your folders where your plugins are at here.
    You may have to first double click on the first folder in this box to keep going back to other folders to search for the folder you want.
    Double click on your plug-ins folder when you find it and then find your sub folder where the plugin you want to convert is. Keep clicking until you find the actual filter, then click on that, and then click on the CONVERT button at the bottom of the box.

The Output Format Box will pop up.
    Have Photoshop FF plugin there, and have filter name as file name checked.
    Then press the convert button.
    Then make sure the path is correct as to where the plug in is going to be installed, which should be the same place you downloaded it to. Click on the Select Folder button to put it there.

That's it! You have to restart PSP to see the filters in the filter list.

:·)) -:¦:- )
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ~Summer
    ((¸¸.·´ .·´

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

WOW I need to digest all that info.. I wonder if it is above my head. I'll stick with ones that work in PSP with no extra files needed.
    Anothe question.. I have one filter installed... it is in PSP plugin folder.. How can I get it out?
    I have Photo Deluxe by Adobe so I have no problems there.. it is version 1 but works. I bought version 3 long time ago but like V 1 better.

I have most of my tubes on D drive in a folder.. when I want one I just open the folder & bring it into PSP unless it is one I'll use over & over on one pix like a sparkle. I never install them anywhere.. works for me.
    Thanks for the info :)
    Dar

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

Hi Dar, the Eye Candy 4000 is not free, it is actually outrageously expensive to buy....

But ones like Ulead Effects, Toadies, Alien Skin Eye Candy 5 Textures, Distort, Fantastic Machines Paint Engine, Flaming Pear Flood/Glitterato/Super Blade Pro, MuRa's Seamless tiles/checks, and Loka's Software 3D Shadow are all free ones I downloaded off the internet.

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Xero are good filters....

Download, filter sets 1/2/3/4....plus....make-a-flake and sparkles.

If you are interested in making a photo look like a painting, also download 'caravaggio'

Xero...left menu...Download

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I see where I can download SuperBlade pro. Is it a stand alone or do I need blade pro for it to work? I don't have blade pro.

One more unrelated question.. any Idea why all of a sudden I'm having to log in to DG every time I try to get on? I used to not have to.

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

No, you don't need anything to download it. When I said 'blade pro' in my older post it was because I was going from memory. I actually only have super blade pro, which is from Flaming Pear.

What is DG?

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amy.. I put the wrong thing in ..meant GW & better not answer your question on what the other is.. LOL

OK I downloaded a filter.. made folders like I was told to made a subfolder Unzipped in the subfolder but I must be doing something wrong. When I go into PSP & try to do the path I only get.. "C:\pspStuff\Exro\Xset1"... I have missed something somewhere. I don't see an EXE file in the zip stuff. Why don't I have an EXE file?
    I didn't have any problem when I did 20/20

Frustrated Dar

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm about to give up.. I tried to download SuperBladePro & nothing happens.. The button turns red but the download doesn't start. Probably just as well as I could only use it 2 weeks. I'm not having much luck with downloading plugins :(
    I can't get a EXE file in Xero So that won't work. The other stuff in Xero seem to be there.
    Dar

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, which plug-in downloaded as an .exe file ending ?

There is nothing wrong with .exe, that is a self-extracting file. When you click on it, it will install it's self...

There will be a window telling you where it is being installed (be sure and make note of that, so you know where it is). If you want to put it in a different place, change it and direct it to a particular folder.

Joy

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joy I appreciate all the help everyone is giving me but I don't see anything to click on. I feel I have a set but not the basic program but can't find it anywhere.. when I click download it takes me to the sets.
    Dar

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, I'm not sure, I understand...there is, no basic program.

When you download a set, it goes in the Plug-in folder. Make a folder called Xero inside of the plug-in folder and put them all in there...unzip them...that's it. They will show in the list of PSP plug-ins under the word Xero.

Joy

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I ended up putting Xero in PSP plug in & it works.. I read not to put many there. How can I put them in another plugin folder & get the path in correctly? I tryed & it didn't work.
    Dar

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, they can be anywhere, you just have to point the folder to PSP.

File
    Preferences
    File Locations
    When the window comes up...
    Click on Plug-ins in the left menu
    Click Browse:
    Find the folder click on it, you will see it in the right hand window.
    Click OK

Joy

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joy, that is exactly what I'm doing. It worked fine when I put it in the PSP plugin but when I put it anywhere else the path isn't correct. I just tried to install a Texturizer filter
    all I get is C:\pspStuff\Texturizer\filter
    I have to be doing something wrong but can't figure out what.
    Dar

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, the path won't be the same as mine, but, in general is this what your File Location window looks like ?
    Are the little files enabled that are to the left of the path(s) etc. ?

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Joy NO it doesn't look the same.. I have PSP7 & U have 8. I'll do a screen print & show U. Be back in a minute.

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, I have PSP 7, 8 & 9...I thought you were using 8...

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Here is what mine looks like. I have popup windows instead of it being on the left.
    {{gwi:2060743}}

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Dar, I am going to have to think about this, not sure what the problem is.
    I have Texturizer and it works fine, however, I do have mine in the plug-in folder.

I will tackle this tomorrow morning...to be continued...

Joy

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Joy.. I'm stubborn & don't give up easy & I see U don't either.. somehow we will get it :)
    Thanks again,
    Dar

• Summer_NH
    19 years ago

Dar,

The problem is, you have this path...
    C:\pspStuff\Texturizer\filter

It needs to be this path...
    C:\pspStuff

Mine is C:\PSPStuff\PlugIns because I have another sub folder there.

And I don't have the 3rd box checked...Limit loaded plug-in files...

But that's not the reason this isn't working. It's your path.

When I said in my inst.
    "So the path to one of my folders and one of the files in it is this..."C:\PSP Stuff\PlugIns\Xenofex\Xenofex .exe"

That was just to show you where one is. What I said in the next line in my above inst. was how you enable the path. That was this...

Find the path to where you created your new plugin /filter FOLDER. Highlight it and then click OK at the box.

Don't forget to close and re-open psp for the filters to take effect.

About the .exe question. Most plug-in filters don't come with an executable file (.exe). If they do, then double click on it to install it, and make SURE that you direct it to install to the folder you want it in. Just read all the boxes carefully as they pop up before clicking next. But most don't have an exe file. You just extract the zip file to the folder it's in and that's it, as long as you have that folder enabled in psp.

And about having one filter in your psp plug-in folder. That's okay. A few there won't hurt. But if you want to move it, just copy and paste them all to the new folder, then delete it out of the psp folder AFTER you paste it in the new one. Or you can drag and drop it in the new one.

I hope all of this helps hon!

:·)) -:¦:- )
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    ~Summer
    ((¸¸.·´ .·´

• Joy_CA
    19 years ago

Thank you, Summer. I was so tired last night my eyes were crossing. I kept thinking, "why does that path end with the words texturize filter" ? :-)

Dar, follow Summer's instructions, you will have it working in no time.

Joy

• Summer_NH
    19 years ago

I'm sorry I wasn't able to help earlier. I have had trouble with my email and was trying to change over. Then I did change over and my old one was working again, LOL!

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm not sure what I did different but it works & that's what important. I moved the couple I put in PSP plugins & they all work. I saved & even printed out the instructions in case I need them again
    Now to get some good plugin LOL. I see Toadies, Ulead.. being used a lot but seem like I also read they needed something else being done on installation.
    I really would like SuperBladePro but it is expensive.
    THANKS Amy & Summer.

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't help more, but I only have PSP 8.1. But as soon as Summer pointed out about your path, I understood. Once you have the main folder set as a path, then any plugin you put in that folder should automatically be useable. You don't need to point the path to the filter itself. Just the folder it's located in.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amy, it was really my fault it took so long. I should have told what version I was using & put the screen print on to start with. That's when realized what was wrong.

Now another question (don't kill me LOL)
    I put a demo on thinking I had full use for it awhile. How do I get rid of it now. It was a EXE file. I looked in control under ADD & DELETE & it isn't there.. not under programs either. How do I uninstall it? What happens if I just toss it in the recycle bin?
    Dar

• amy_z6_swpa
    19 years ago

What was it called? If I'm ever unsure, I just put the .exe file (or whatever I downloaded) into the recycle bin and leave it there a few days. As long as nothing acts screwy, you know it is ok to delete it LOL

Also check the demo's main folder for an uninstall icon. Maybe they have one in there. Also check your Start Programs list for the demo, and see if it says uninstall there anywhere.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Amy I already checked those options & there is none there.
    It is FM Tile tool by fantasticmachines. I'll put it in the recycle bin & see what happens.. I worry about shared files.
    Dar

Sponsored
Construction Marketing, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars116 Reviews
Roanoke County's Interior & Exterior Remodeling Experts