Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black n White Photo w/one or two colored objects

Posted by sapphires (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 16:26

Hi Everyone,
Would some kind soul tell me how to take a picture and make it black and white with one or two objects in the picture colored? I have: PSP 7, Picture It Express, Lexmark Photo Center, Paint, and IrfranView. PSP 7 and IrfranView I really haven't used much so knowledge is very little. I need EASY instructions please. Thank you for your time.

Sapphires

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black n White Photo w/one or two colored objects

You mean like this?

Image hosting by Photobucket

There are so many ways of doing it but I will write JOY'S instructions here.

Open photo
Shift-key plus D .....makes a duplicate (close original)
Duplicate the background layer on Layer palette
On copy of background....use Greyscale
The background layer is already colored....start erasing.

Funny thing?
That works in PSP9 but not in PSP7 for me?

~Urlee~

o
RE: Black n White Photo w/one or two colored objects000000

OK,
In PSP7, I went up to COLORS, COLORIZE, and have the Hue & Saturation at O!

~~Urlee~~

o

I can't get it to work in 7 or 8. I know I did it before but for some reason it isn't working tonight.
Juyd

o

That did the trick Urlee.
Now if I can learn to spell my name right!!
JUDY

o

Urlee and Judy,
Yes, like that. So I need to change my photo to black and white and "save as" someplace on my computer. Then you are suggesting I use PSP 7 to do this, right? I am confused now with the instructions, would you mind starting from the beginning again? Thanks.

Sapphires

o

Sapphires- open your picture in #7 and then Shift-key plus D .....makes a duplicate (close original)
Duplicate the background layer on Layer palette
On copy of background go to COLORS, COLORIZE, and have the Hue & Saturation at O
The background layer is already colored....start erasing.

Hope that helps.
Judy

o

Hi all....there are lots of ways....my way...quick and easy.

Make color corrections etc. on your inage, then....
Duplicate the Background layer.

On Copy of Background
Hue/Saturation/Lightness...click Reset > enable Colorize > OK
OR....
Channel Mixer:
Enable Monochrome
Settings > Red/Green/Blue 33 > Contrast 3%
If you want it lighter
Settings > Red 87 > Green Minus 12 > Blue 61 > Contrast Minus 3%

Stay on top layer...
To show background color:
*Erase: use left mouse button to erase and right button to make corrections (un-erase).
Settings > brush size will vary > Hardness 50 or less > Step 5 > Density/Thickness/Opacity 100

*If you have straight lines to erase... hold down Shift key move the mouse and click again...if you have curves, click hold down shift key keep moving and clicking. If you need to UNDO, you will be able to undo small amounts at a time instead of losing a major amount of work.

Merge/Save

Joy

o

Ok, I know I sound dense but what part am I erasing? Am I erasing the part I want colored or everything I don't want colored? Sorry, but I really am not good with PSP but still want to try this. Thanks.

Sapphires

o
More info....

Sorry, I should have included:
Always make a duplicate of your image, never use the original.
Shift-key plus D .....makes a duplicate (close original), then start working.

When you use 'Greyscale' you must go to Image > Increase Color Depth...you do not have any control over the shade of gray, either, I don't like to use 'Greyscale'.

Joy

o
Erasing

Sapphires, you are erasing on the top layer (which is gray), the color will show through from the background layer. Erase on the images you want to show color.

Joy

o

Okay, I think I understand...yeah right lol. I have printed out the instructions you all have given me. It is now just after 11:00 pm so I will continue to try this tomorrow. Thank you all for your time, help and patience. I will let ya know what happens or be back for more help.

Sapphires

o

Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy, JOY!
Shame on U!
Speaking for myself, I thought the first way of yours that I posted above, is the easiest?
You scared me with your replies.
Well Sapphires, You can ad some more to your collection. "LOL"

o

Hello,
Still need more help, I don't know how to erase! Where is the tool to erase? Thick, thick, thick, I tell ya I'm thick headed when it somes to PSP. After I did the steps and should be ready to erse, all I see is the white hand cursor.

Sapphires

o

Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Hi,
What is the html code to show a pic? I took a screen shot of my PSP7 and now forget how to post it here? Thanks.

Sapphires

o
RE: Black n White Photo w/one or two colore00000000d objects

You have to UPLOAD it to PhotoBucket and click on the middle code to copy and paste here.
~Urlee~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here