Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old B&W photo

Posted by mst___ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 15:27

Can this photo be fixed? I'm doing a scrapbook of old B&W photos and there are a few like this. TIA
Teri
Image hosting by Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old B&W photo

Yes it can. But I don't know how. I'm sure someone (Joy) will come along and be able to help though.

Such a nice picture. She really looks very happy!

o

I can work on that for you this afternoon. Unless someone else gets to it first.

o

Amy is there any chance you could explain what you do to fix it too :)

LOL I had a play with the scratch remover, contrast and retouch tools and just made it look 100x worse!

Sue :)

o

Thanks Amy. It would be great if you can fix it. I have no idea on how to even begin. I'd love to know what you do to it so I can try it on some other photos that I have.
Teri

o

I'm going to push this back up. I'm really hoping someone can fix this picture and tell me how it's done. Pretty Please!
Teri

o

What I would do is scan the photo at a very high resolution and scale it to a large size (at least double what it is in reality). So that I had an image about as big as 8 by 10 and 300 dpi. This is a large file, if you system isn't capable of moving quickly around that large of a document then you would have to come back down some on the dpi(resolution).

I would then open it in whatever touch up program you have. I use Photoshop. I wouldn't do a blanket scratch remove or blur filter. The contrast and washout over the center of the photo make those effects uneven. You would have to painstakingly touch up each defect as you work quadrant by quadrant through the picture. Mostly I would use the smudge tool and cloning tool to fill in the lost data. After all that brain-bleeding work I would flatten the whole image and then play with the sharpen filter (just a bit) and contrast to even out the tones and then punch up the black a bit. It would take an afternoon. But it certainly is salvageable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here