Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Resolution and photos

Posted by lyban (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 21, 09 at 11:29

I have photos on my computer that were taken with good resolution so for example one photo is 2592 X 1944.
Now if I crop that photo in my cropping program and just have the one person that I want and no background. I then want to print it in a 5X7 and I keep getting message s that there is not enough resolution.
Can I not crop a photo and keep resolution somehow.
Or am I misssing something?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Resolution and photos

Answered on the computer help forum. (bump)

o
RE: Resolution and photos

The program is saying there are not enough pixels when you're done cropping to print at enough resolution, usually 300 ppi or higher. Although I don't know why it's being so paternalistic, and not letting you print it, even if it will look too zoomed in.
That 2592 pixels is only about 8 inches at 300 pixels per inch (printer resolution).
You can resample the image in an editing program, but that's the same as zooming in, you'll get a blocky pixelated image if there aren't enough pixels to start with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here