Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scanning slides??

Posted by craftyc (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 11, 09 at 16:31

We have about a ga-zillion slides (more or less!) and would like to buy one of the slide scanners to transfer them to computer etc. Does anyone have any experience with any of them, recommendations etc ? Is it a pretty tedious process? I have a scanner that has some sort of mechanism for scanning slides, but seems like it would really take quite a while to use it. any suggestions, help, hints or advice? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scanning slides??

I too have an attachment that you have to set up which I thought a pain so never tried it out to see if it worked good.

Good luck.

o

Hi CraftyC,
As a matter of fact I just did some slide scanning. I have a Cannon scanner and there is a plastic device that is under the top of the scanner. It works great! Yes is a little time consuming as mine only does two slides at a time, but well worth it.
Carol

o

I use an older Epson 1240U and it is tedious. Perhaps some day I will finish the ones sitting along side my computer table. I see that HP has a photo scanner, HP Scanjet G4050, that does as many as 16 slides at a time and sells for anywhere from about $100 to $200 -- Amazon to other places, new and used. It can scan 30 frames of 35mm strips at one time. PC Magazine gave it a pretty good rating. It took about a minute and a half to prescan and scan the 16. Compared to my older Epson that is speedy.

o

Sorry --- A follow-up to my comment about the HP G4050 scanner. I subsequently read a user comment that went as follows: "I've got this down to a mini-science that I can set up 16 slides for scanning, set my kitchen timer for 23 minutes, and come back and view the images." This a bit different from that I read at the PC Mag review of the scanner. Based on that comment I would conclude that about a half hour was needed to do a set-up and save of the 16 slides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here