Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PSP and resolution

Posted by judys_ont (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 1, 07 at 18:34

I have a question about resolution.

Is there a way, with PSP 8.10, to downsize my digital pictures while increasing ppi?

Thats sounds a little confusing I guess.
You see, I used to use Adobe Photo Deluxe on my old computer. The way that program handled resolution seems different that PSP.

In Adobe, according to their tutorial, when resizing a picture to downsize it, it would 'throw out' only some pixels.
So if I had a picture, an 8 x 10 and 180 ppi for example, I could tell Adobe to make my picture 4 x 6 with 200 ppi. and end up with very clear pictures.
In PSP, in the re-size box, there is the option to resample. Is that what Im looking for? If so, which setting do I use? I have been using smart size.

My digital camera, at its finest setting, gives my 180 ppi and I wonder if I can increase that for better print-outs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PSP and resolution

judy,
That is a question for somebody smarter than I as I just take pictures with my digital camera at 1600x1200.
Then I resize them anywhere from 500 to 800 to post etc.
When I want to make prints only, I just leave @ 1600x1200 & print from PSP the size I want etc. I use the Print Multiple option and place them on the sheet.
The end results have been fabulous!

Urlee

o

This is from Jill. I had saved it, don't know if it will help. But I always relied on Jill's expertise.
Resolution Settings for printing photos When it comes to printing photos the biggest problem is usually RESOLUTION.
Screen resolution is approximately 72 dpi and printer resolution is minimum 150 dpi, higher is better, depending on your printer. 300 is usually good.
Look at the Image Information in PSP7 (Image / Image Information). It will give you dimensions in both Pixels and Inches. For an image from my digital camera the dimensions are 1280 x 960 Pixels and 17.778 x 13.333 Inches at 72 Pixels Per Inch (or dpi-dots per inch). If I resize the image to print it I want to increase the Resolution for a better print, which will mean the Dimensions are going to get smaller (more dots to the inch = less inches in the dimensions).
In the resize dialog box select the Actual/print size area. Right now it reads:
Width = 17.778 inches
Height = 13.334 inches
Resolution = 72 Pixel/inch
If I change the resolution to 150 Pixels/inch the Width and Height dimensions change to:
Width = 8.533
Height = 6.4
Changing the resolution to 300 Pixels/inch gives:
Width = 4.267
Height = 3.2
If you make a photo larger than the dimension you get when you change the resolution the picture will start to look blurry when printed. The bigger you make it the blurrier it will be.
Make sense?
I have found PSP to be an excellent tool for working with photos. And for printing my HP PhotoSmart 1000 printer gives excellent results on high quality gloss photo paper and the best photo setting. In fact, from the same digital file I have gotten better prints from my little printer than from the big expensive Xerox color laser printer at Kinko's.
If I can help, I would be glad to answer questions about working with photos in PSP.
Jill

o

Thanks Jill and Kyry,

Your advice prompted me to go into PSP and play around with the re-size box.
I uncheck the 'Resampling' box and indeed found that I could adjust size while increasing my resolution.

PSP has always been a bit challenging. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Graphics & Scanning Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here