SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

Saving Money for a Wedding.....

victoria1
15 years ago

I am looking for ways to make an August, 2009 wedding possible.

I had several thousand dollars saved up (I had been putting all money made from working overtime directly into an account for the wedding), but we fell on hard times, and needless to say, it's gone. I have been going over our budget and I'm afraid there's no way we will save the $5000 we will need to pull this wedding off.

I work 40-60 hours per week as a technician and I'm working on my BS in Biology part time. He is a full-time engineering student and works retail as much as he can, which is anywhere from 15-30 hours per week. I make enough (barely) for us to live on, and he makes just enough to pay for his expensive school books, expensive health insurance (he has medical conditions and cannot be without). I have a pile of loans as well and cannot get any more for a while so I pay for community college out of pocket. I have to stay in school in order to finish (a few years off still) and avoid making laon payments. We live in a larger house that I bought earlier in college when friends and other students were lining up to sign leases (I was living nearly "rent-free"), and now with the economic crisis, everyone has returned to their parents basements it seems and we are lucky to find one renter every now and then in this ghost town to help with bills for a few months at a time. We have had our home listed for sale for several months now, as it is way too big and way too expensive for us to live in sustainably. It has attracted no interest at all and it seems every other house is for sale on our street and nothing is moving.

As for living costs we have:

Gas/electric bill

water and trash bills every three months

cable/internet

medical insurance

car insurance

credit card payment

prescription copays

save for school (about $300/month)

food, gas, etc.

Food and Supplies: I buy bulk baking ingredients which last me most of a year and make nearly everything I can from scratch, except bread which I get at aldi for 45 cents a loaf. I have a garden in the summer from which I can veggies. I make our toothpaste, cleaning products, and laundry soap out of inexpensive bulk ingredients. We have been using baking soda and vinegar for shampoo and conditioner for about 6 months now. I never buy makeup. The only thing I really buy is bar soap, and "personal" items once a month. We haven't bought new clothes except for two packages of underwear in almost a year. We limit going out to eat only to our anniversary, and our only other form of entertainment is a rented movie or a theater outing once every couple of month or so, and even then we try not to spend more than $10 for the whole thing.

Utilities: we have cut back to basic cable and internet, downsized our trash container (we recycle now), and try really hard to save on energy. We closed off empty rooms, covered our old windows with plastic, stopped using the dryer and hang dry clothes, sealed leaky pipes, weather stripped every crack in every door, we unplug everything, turn off lights, are stingy with our water use.

I'm not sure what else we can do. Anybody do anything different?

Comments (9)