Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for cheap trim/moulding

Posted by cathyll (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 7, 04 at 22:39

My DS is in his house now and needs all the ideas you can share for cheap trim or moulding. He said that even the big-box home store prices are pretty outrageous. Any help out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for cheap trim/moulding

Trim or molding for ... walls? Outside? Where?

o

Here's a trick to fool the eye - Use whatever molding you like and can afford, probably something thin. Also, buy half-round for the same area. Put up the molding and then the half-round about 2-3" from the molding. Paint everything - including the wall - the same color. Makes it look like your moldings are much thicker than they are.

o

Hi Kathy11,

Do you know someone with a router?

One can use that to make one's own mouldings.

Must buy the wood, though, unless you have some lying around.

If you don't want a wide moulding, might want to rip a piece of lumber down the middle - so it would then go twice as far.

Hope that he gets it fixed up in a way that suits him (and all the others who'll live there).

joyful guy

o

Many thanks for the help, everybody. Joyful Guy, it looks like he's going to borrow a router and do as you suggested. I like your idea, too, Joann-sounds classy-looking.

o

cathy11,

If he's using used wood, suggest that he make sure that there are no nails or other foreign matter, e.g. gravel, included - router bits are expensive.

Good wishes for a successful enterprise.

ole joyful

o

You might try foam mouldings too. I'm going to give that a shot in my new house. The corners are pre-cut so all I need is a kitchen knife or a razor blade. No power tools :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here