SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenica_gw

How to mill wheat without a mill.

jenica
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to get a mill to grind my own flour for a while now but just haven't been able to afford it yet. Well, imagine my excitement when my neighbor told me how she does it without a mill. Basically the process goes like this: 1. In a large container, wash the wheat berries in cold water, most foreign matter should float to the surface where you can skim or pour it off. Drain the water off. 2. Cover the wheat berries with fresh water and add a glug of vinegar (the vinegar will help remove any pesticides) 3. Soak at least overnight 4. Drain the water, rinse, and put wheat berries in a food processor adding a little warm water 5. Process until a smooth dough forms, about 5 minutes.

Now, what your left with is a dough that is too wet for kneading so what do you do... Enter my latest copy of the magazine, Mother Earth News and a cover story of how to make fresh bread in 5 minutes a day. Their recipe works great and with NO KNEADING!! So what you do here is: 1. Put six cups warm water in a very large bowl add 3T salt and 3T dry yeast then mix in 13 cups flour 2. cover loosely and let rise 2 - 8 hrs. 4. Stick in in the fridge 5. when you want to make a loaf of bread rip off a hunk of the dough and shape it, slap it in the pan to rise, then bake it. That's it! When you start getting low you can just add the above recipe to the leftover dough.

So what I did is take their recipe and modify it to work with my "grinding" method and the wonderful and amazing recipe for 100% whole wheat bread that grainlady was so kind to share in another post. I measure out 5 cups of liquid before grinding the wheat and then use this in the processor to grind the wheat. I use the liquids in grainlady's recipe but just up the proportions to match the magazine's recipe. I only use 5 cups of liquid because the grain is already wet so that adds more moisture. As far as the rest goes I follow the magazine yeast, salt, and flour amounts and then I use all grainlady's other ingredients with the amounts multiplied to match the recipe. It works great!!

To top all this serendipity off, my same neighbor found a source (local farmer) for hard winter wheat berries for only $8 for a 50 lb bag!

Grainlady, if you read this I want to thank you for the wonderful recipe, I tried it for Thanksgiving (with $4/lb organic whole wheat flour I got before learning how to do the above) and it was wonderful and light as promised.

Hope this helps some of you who wanted to mill flour like I did but didn't have a mill.

Jenica

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH