Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sell your junk

Posted by dfcash55 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 16:59

it never ceases to amaze me what people by on websites like craigslist and ebay. I place all the items I no longer want on these sites and just about everythings sells. It's a great way to reuse boxes and packaging material as well. What remains I donate to a thrift store for a tax write off. It's important to squeeze the last bit of value from everything before it leaves the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sell your junk

Good for you!

I just take it all to the Thrift Store to begin with.
THEY sell it... so absolutely no work for me.

o

I've got better things to do than sell on Ebay. Time and convenience have value too. Infinitely easier to donate - then take the non-cash donation writeoff on your taxes when and if you feel the need to squeeze value.

I'd rather squeeze my head in a vice than join the horde of sellers - amazes me there are actually any BUYERS left in the world.

o

Ditto. My time has value, and selling something worth a couple of bucks on craigslist or eBay holds almost no value to me. Selling on craigslist, I've found it a total PITA to arrange viewings/meetings, etc. among multiple schedules (seller, buyer, buyer's transportation, buyer's daycare or kids, ad nauseum.).

Selling on eBay is harder because the long-distance can't-touch-it aspect means you have to put a lot more work into pictures and shipping and making sure every T is crossed and I is dotted.

I've taken some more valuable stuff to a local sell-it-for-you-on-eBay store and been satisfied with the 65% return (after eBay fees and their fees) relative to the work I had to do (show up when they're open and sign a form). That's not a bad way to go. But unless every single dollar absolutely meant food on the table, the computed hourly rate for selling my "junk" on craigslist or eBay just doesn't come close to any other job I could get.

o

I donate to The Gently Used Store that is run by a local Lutheran Church, all of the people who work there are volunteers. The proceeds go to abused/handicapped women and children. Some of it is expensive and could be sold by me, but it is my way of helping the people they help. One time I donated 15 story book dolls still in their boxes. They sold them the first day for $15. each. They are all smiles when I come in.

o

I would love to be better at selling, but it just isn't a skill I have. I am so grateful that there are thrift stores who use the money to help provide important services, otherwise it would be hard for me to get rid of anything!
Kathy

o

I have a tough time selling items. Like another poster said, I don't want to monkey around meeting buyer's and dickering over prices. I find it easier to drop off items I won't ever use again at the Goodwill.

Sometimes I will spot furniture or other items on the lawn awaiting the trash collector.

I don't like to see perfectly serviceable items (that I know someone else can use) go into landfills. If they are clean and in good condition I will load it into my van and drop them off at the Goodwill on my next visit. I don't take furniture with cloth (bedbugs).

o

Careful, dreamgarden - bedbugs sometimes inhabit cracks in furniture.

ole joyful ... bedbug free ... so far ... and not wanting to be forced to burn a good deal of my stuff

P.S. They were talking the other day on the radio how a number of chefs are not serving up bugs ... nutritious, sometimes crunchy.

Think that bedbugs might qualify?

o j

o

I love to sell stuff on Craigslist. I just price it to sell and never have a prblem. I bought almost all of my lawn tools etc..on CL and my attitude to buying and selling is that "If it is on CL, it is one step away from the curb" so price it that way and when you buy it, the same attitude.

o

Don't the donations and write offs have to be higher than $10k a year in order to be even noticed??? I live in New Jersey.

Thanks

o

You have to itemize your deductions for the donations to count. There is no lower limit (percentage of AGI) as there is for medical expenses

o

I don't like throwing away serviceable items either and make every effort to donate or find a re-use for them. I started a real push to get rid of clutter around the house this past fall. Gave away or recycled tons of stuff at places like the town's recycle day, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Craigslist free, etc.

Also decided to sell a few things on eBay and Craigslist. If something had a used value of at least $20 or so it was worth the effort to try and sell. I only sold about $350 total before Christmas but hope to sell more this year.

It is a lot of work for the $, but it wasn't a bad way to pass a couple hours each day. I hadn't sold on eBay for a few years and was a little rusty, but once up to speed it got quicker and easier. I got the added satisfaction of getting another thing out of the house and on to another owner who will hopefully give it a useful life!

o

In Canada, for cash donations the credit is at the low rate for the first $200.00, but above that the credit rate is at the highest level, regardless of the rate on your topmost dollar of taxable income.

I don't know what particulars are involved with in-kind donations, but think that there may need to be some itemization.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here