SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

How to get $1.00 worth of Cdn. charitable value for 50 - 60 cents

joyfulguy
9 years ago

If I buy some groceries in the food store and put them into the big box for the Food Bank at the exit, or at the firehall or my church, they cost me e.g. $1.00 ... and I chose what to buy.

A couple of times a year in this area, some stores encourage us to make a donation for a social service agency at checkout, so when I give 80 cents or so there, the money goes from the store to the service agency and the store gets the credit for a charitable donation. Then the agency buys the goods that they need most (usually more efficiently than my choice) at wholesale price of 80 cents or so.

If I go to the Food Bank and write them a cheque for the 80 cents or so that lets them buy goods at wholesale price, they give me a receipt, which helps at income tax time.

If I'm in 25% tax bracket, that saves me another 20 cents, so my actual cost is 60 cents, even less if my marginal (highest) tax rate is higher than 25%.

But that money came from my bank account, all of which is after-tax money.

Part of it is dividends on stocks of Canadian corporations, taxed at a low rate - interest income is taxed at top rate, with no allowable credits.

If I sell a stock for more than I paid, maybe 40 years ago, I must pay tax on half of the capital gain at regular rate.

If I transfer that stock to a charity, I get a charitable receipt for all of the dollars ... and pay no tax on the capital gain.

A couple of weeks ago I transferred a stock that cost me $4.20 back 47 years ago to a charitable agency for about $95.00 - 99.00 ... if it's $94.20, had I sold it, I'd have $90.00 of capital gain and would have to pay tax at highest rate on half of that, or $45.00.

That is, as I made that charitable gift with before-tax rather than after-tax dollars, I reduced my actual cost even farther than the 60 cents or so that I referred to earlier.

I like them apples better!

ole joyfuelled ... with the help of a dollar or so, here and there, preferably non-taxed ones

Comments (4)