SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rushmom3

Eating healthy on a budget

rushmom3
17 years ago

I'm new to the forum, but have gotten lots of tips from reading the postings. I have a budget of $350/month for my family of 5 and that includes food and household items (diapers, cleaning supplies, etc.). I'm trying to get that down, but at the same time get my family on a healthier diet. I'd like to get all whole wheat items in our diet and keep healthy snacks on hand. Heathly eating is not cheap. Any tips?

Comments (39)

• bluejean
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Actually this was discussed just recently. Did you see the thread? Check out this link below.

I hope the advice there helps. It helped me to be realistic about our food budget (luckily it is just me and hubby- no babies yet!).

Best wishes,
    bluejean in ohio

Here is a link that might be useful: How low can you go?

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, sorry. I did see the beginning of that thread, but must not have read far enough to see the healthy eating tips. I just went to the store for the first time after being committed to this healthier lifestyle. I read labels on anything that went in my cart. When I checked out, I used my entire grocery budget for the month on my first shopping trip. It seems that many of the store brand items aren't as healthy as the more expensive name brands.

• Related Discussions

More on eating healthy

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for that link, mtn, although I wasn't surprised at the two lists and mostly already follow that guideline for what I buy organic. Years ago I read an article by someone who had visited a strawberry farm and was aghast at the protective suits the farmers wore due to the pesticides they were using. Ever since then I've made sure never to buy berries that aren't organic but it's not always easy to find them here. Whole Foods is hit or miss - some days they have them, some not. Even most of the local,produce stands aren't organic! I want to support my local growers but often can't. We had a great butcher that carried grass fed meats but sadly he closed. I think his high prices prevented him from getting the number of customers necessary to stay open. The area I need most improvement is our meats, eggs and dairy. I don't buy processed foods (rarely ever even go to the regular grocery store), and do well with produce, it's being able to find reasonably priced "healthy" meats, poultry and fish that kills me. Funny conversation at the dinner table last night. Somehow we started talking about tv dinners that were so popular in the 70s. Dh and I were trying to describe them to the kids when one of my kids chimed in, "so kinda like lunchables for adults?". Lol - exactly! Years ago my kids would ask why I never bought lunchables, and of course I explained why. Then one of my kids had the chance to taste one while at a friend's house and said it was awful and was thankful for my homemade lunches!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Went from insulin to healthy eating

Q

Comments (10)
    Yesican, Some people eat to live and some live to eat. She lives to eat so taking that into consideration she's fairly happy with her meals. She actually eats about twice as much as me and really too much for her age and activity level. I need to cut her portions down a wee bit. Her favorite breakfast is cornflakes with a half a banana but sometimes she has a poached egg with grits and bacon bits and buttered toast or oatmeal with fruit. A typical lunch or supper is a meat, potato and a vegetable and usually no bread. Our meats are usually pork chops, chicken, steak, ham or something made from hamburger meat. I don't do a lot of processed meats. Some snacks she can't eat because she can't wear her bottom denture and can't chew real hard stuff. This is a sample of her snacks; 2 cookies, half a cup fruit, a small orange, a microwaved apple with cinnamon and splenda, a 2" square of cake with icing or a 1" wedge of layer cake, a 2" wedge of pie, 3 peanut butter crackers, the fruity lite yogurt (there's so many flavors),sugar free jello with cool whip, a small scoop of ice cream. I buy very little sugar free foods because that usually only means there's no added sugar but there's still sugar and lots of carbs in them. I pay more attention to carbs than sugar because your body doesn't use all the sugar but it uses ALL the carbs. To give you an example; a small scoop of sugar free ice cream has about 19 grams of carbs and 4 grams of sugar. I don't have any at the moment to check the regular but I remember the sugar free. If you compare labels of sugar free and regular foods you'll see what I mean. Add the carbs and sugar for each one and compare. Don't forget to look for sugar alcohol. There is one food I buy different and that's low carb bread. There's quite a difference there and if I make her a sandwich or toast I use it. If you have any more questions just ask. I don't use diabetic recipes but I do season a lot with spices such as garlic powder or onion instead of salt. I use very little salt because of her blood pressure and swelling.
    ...See More

help with step son won't eat healthy

Q

Comments (14)
    Ceph hit the nail on the head! If u only offer him healthy, and he refuses to eat, then so be it. Eventually he will get hungry enough and eat something. That's really the best you can do! I have done this with all of my three kids (2 bio and 1 Step) and believe me if they are really hungry they will eat. Thats not to say don't give choices, but they need to be healthy choices only. U can't control what is goin on at BMs or GMas so don't stress over it anymore... you can only control what happens at your house. Also, something you might find helpful as far as tv, computer and video games go- at my house you have to earn those treats, now my kids are physically active, but not all that big on taking time out to read, work on math or anything school work related- My kids can earn tv or computer or video game time by reading, extra practice on school work etc... I give 30 minutes of "fun time" for 30 minutes of "school work time" I suggest you try giving him 30 minutes of "fun time" for 30 minutes of physical activity, this could just mean going for a walk, kicking the ball around....... It really does work, but you have to NEVER GIVE IN..I am thinking that is part of this boys problem, he pouts or cries to go to the other parent to get his way...stick to your rules AND DONT CAVE OR BEND....he will probably be miserable and cry at first BUT once he realizes your not going to send him home, or give in he will start to do what he needs to do.... I would also have dad sit down with mom and give her the 411 on what you all are doing, she may be supportive or may not, but wither way it gives her a heads up, so she knows what to expect when SS comes home complaining..good luck! you all can do this, even if it is only every other weekend, It will make an impression... Also, maybe dad and SS could take up a sport together? I bet SS would be glad to have some time alone with dad, even if it is just for a walk.........
    ...See More

"Resistant Starch" A healthy way of eating starches

Q

Comments (59)
    Through much of my lifetime in a state with a lot of diversity and Chinese inbound immigration, male Chinese immigrants to the US were rarely taller than a few inches over 5 feet. They were noticeably shorter than everyone else. I saw the same on numerous trips to Asia in the 70s. I remember riding on a public bus up to Hakone Lake in Japan for which the space between the seat back and the front of the seat in front of me was too small for my legs to squeeze in so I couldn't sit, but the ceiling of the bus was too low for me to stand upright. All because of the people being short. I remember walking around cities in Japan and also in Hong Kong and feeling like a giant even though I'm just a tad over 6 feet, the locals were short. I remember visits to Spain, Italy and Portugal in the 1970s and wondering why everyone was so short. I suspect I'm much more familiar with all of these cited areas during these years. I had friends when growing up whose families were of Southern European origin. Whose parents (some foreign born) were short. Whose ancestors came here because they were starving. Ever run into a tall Sicilian immigrant in the US in the 50s-80s? I never did. Later generations here are much taller for peoples of all origins than their ancestors who left lands where people were malnourished. Same is true in their home countries too, nutrition has improved and, in the case of China and other parts of SE Asia, fewer famines and starving people. Diets with inadequate calories and so lacking in proper nutrition as to stunt the growth of children and people well into adulthood are not healthier. I'm not going to argue with you, you seem to argue just to argue. Those are my REAL experiences, you can be silly and dispute them as you tend to like to do. Come up with a different explanation and tell me I didn't see what I saw.
    ...See More
  • marie26
    17 years ago

Good question.

Especially on items that you will regularly buy, try to get a handle on how much each one costs. For instance, Kraft or store brand cream cheese can be as high as $2.50 each. But they regularly go on sale at all the local supermarkets for as low as $1.00 each. I also use the same guidelines for such items as toilet paper, shampoos, soap, etc., anything that I know my family will always use or cooking items that I know I will use for meals (as long as the expiration dates are way out). By setting aside a certain amount of money for stocking up, you will find that you will need that many less products each month you shop. I find that paper goods can be quite a bit more expensive at the supermarkets than the K-Mart/Target type of stores if you watch for the sales.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

How low can you go was a good discussion, but depending upon where you live, I'm not sure $350 a month is realistic for what I would consider healthy eating. In my younger, broker days I diverted income to food. I didn't purchase paper products, except for toilet paper, I used cloth diapers (which I had to boil on the stove since I didn't have a washer,) cleaning products are still just vinegar and baking soda. Shampoo and soap can be diluted to last longer and they still do a good job for me. The money I saved on those items was used for fresh food.

I just took a look in my cabinets and fridge. There is very little in there with labels. You're correct that the food may not be cheap, but healthy eating can be simple. Maybe it's time to re-evaluate what you are buying. The more labels, the more it will cost. There was some discussion about convenience food not always costing more, but the examples given where not even meals I would be serving if I was on a strict budget.

Snacks for kids are very easy to keep around. Carrots, apples, bananas all cost less than something prepackaged. Even when we want sweet treats, a pan of brownies made from scratch are not expensive.

Maybe trying for less packaging might be a more do-able beginning goal.

Gloria

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

Rushmom -- maybe if you tell us how you shop and what you buy -- we can show you where to save money.

A couple of quick tips from way back when --- use milk made from non-fat dried milk for cooking. Much cheaper and no difference in taste when used in baked products, puddings or soups.

Are you making soups from scratch? Will cut the price down by 3/4 --easily.

Do you bake from scratch? Do you buy fruit already cut-up or do you do it yourself? Frozen fruit juice is cheaper than in the bottle or jug. Do you use whole chickens or only boneless skinless chicken breasts?

Do you support local farmer's markets and/or CSAs? (Community supported agriculture) This is a great time to get involved in CSAs -- lots of farmers want "up front money " and will discount their product. For example, the CSA I below to is offering $625 worth of produce, poultry and meat for $500. And there are similiar savings on lesser amounts.

I see an enormase amount of waste at the grocery store and by my 30 year-old-friends. You need to "cook" to save money -- convenience is expensive and "cooking" is not throwing in a Stouffers lasagna into the oven!!!

There is some amazing talent here -- let us help you -- I think your budget is tight for way we eat but I'm sure we can save you a lot of money.

Cathy

• bluejean
    17 years ago

I guess part of my suggestion was misguided, I apologize! I know some healthy foods were discussed, but not indepth. Just more about eating on a budget. Sorry!

bluejean in ohio

• joyfulguy
    17 years ago

rushmom3,

Do you have any friends/relatives, etc. who have a bread making machine?

Their product is somewhat different from the style of loaf that most folks are used to, so I'd like to have you try a loaf or two from a machine before buying one.

Actually, if you have a local section of Freecycle, you might be able to locate one free, for some try them and don't like them, but can't be bothered to sell them, etc.

I agree about making our own soups.

Perhaps if you look around it may be possible to get a patch in a community garden, then grow a number of your own veggies.

When I was paying somewhere over $1.50 per 24 oz. (approx., that is: 675 gram) loaf of bread, I figured that I lacked a certain amount of enthusiasm for that ballgame, started thinking that it was about time that I got a bread machine.

Son has had one for some time, his started leaking around the bearing, so he went and bought a new one - about $100. I suspect that a small O-ring by the bearing might fix his former machine - for probably 50 cents or less.

I thought that I'd visit an auction house, but it's some miles away and I hadn't got around to it ...

... and one day, while driving on a rural road nearby, saw a farm wagon loaded up with stuff, so stopped to check it out.

They had a bread machine, almost (if not) new.

When I asked the price, that lady asked how much I'd offer.

Me, being a cheap-skate, thought of $10., but thought that a bit too cheap ...

should I offer $20. ...

... ot how about $15.00 ...

when she piped up, "How about $7.50?".

So I agreed that price was acceptable.

A few days later, while driving on the street of a nearby city with son's friend, he remarked on something in the garbage at the roadside - a bread machine.

So we went back to check it out - it looked as though it had never been used. Took it home, of course.

Now it's at my house, has made over a dozen loaves, including one fresh one this morning.

The one I bought is a bit larger and I am short of kitchen counter space, and the larger one is at the son's place.

I want to bring it home and try it for a while - see which I like best.

He figures that we should keep the extra one as back-up, but I think that the friend who saw it in the first place is going to be using it.

Some say that it costs about 50 cents per loaf, but I think closer to 35 cents.

When we were discussing bread machines on this forum a while ago, one poster commented that a bread machine is just training wheels - soon you'll want to be baking on your own.

Good wishes in your pursuit of high quality nutrition at bargain price.

ole joyful

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

I would second the diversion of money from the paper/cleaning products budget to food. If you are early in the diapering process for the latest child or you plan another child, switching to cloth could be an excellent spot to save. Otherwise, check out the link below on ways to save with disposables.

Eating some vegetarian meals can save a lot of money because vegetarian sources of protein are generally much cheaper than animal.

Buying food in as close to the natural state as possible will usually save you money. For example, compare the cost of dried beans vs canned vs a frozen complete meal with beans as a part of it. (Frozen veggies are an exception, as often they are less expensive than raw, with little loss of nutrients when cooked.)

Learn to assess produce. Look for wrinkles and bad spots. It may not be cheap if you have to throw away large parts that have spoiled. Old fruits veggies can lose nutrients. However, if something is very cheap, and not too bad condition, don't be afraid to buy for use that day or the next by cutting away unuseable parts. You may even be able to negotiate with a produce manager for a discount.

If bananas are on sale because they are overripe, I buy a lot, peel them, freeze them on a cookie sheet and then dip the frozen bananas in orange juice (to keep them from blackening) before popping them into freezer bags. They make excellent milk shakes - just a frozen bananna and milk in a blender.

Learn how to store produce to retain the nutrients without having them spoil.

Use what is in season and local. In the winter switch from salad greens to root vegetables for much of your vegetable sources.

Soups, stews and casseroles are the mainstay of economical, nutritions eating.

If you have a freezer, make up meals in double batches and freeze half for a later meal. It doesn't save on ingredients, but it does save on time and fuel to make it. You could also switch meals with a friend. You cook double one day, she does on another.

Here is a link that might be useful: Saving Money $$$ on Diapers

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Buy in bulk when it makes sense to do so. Unless they're on sale, don't buy chicken parts -- it's easy enough to learn how to cut up a chicken into pieces or to dice up. Also leaves you a carcass for soup.

Think whole grains and beans. Both are nutritious and good sources of fiber -- necessary for healthful eating. And both are cheaper than meat or cheese products.

Plan your menus. If you know that you can bake a chicken for Sunday night and then use the leftovers for sandwiches on Monday or chicken and dumplings on Tuesday and then store the bones in the freezer until you're ready to make soup, you've gotten about as much mileage out of that chicken as you can.

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

1. As others have said, choose whole foods as much as possible, instead of pre-packaged, highly processed foods. Whole foods are also nature's original "fast foods" requiring not much more preparation than washing and slicing. Whole foods also have more fiber, which helps keep us full longer. There is more nutrition in whole foods, and it takes good nutrition to feed healthy bodies, not empty calories from junk food.

2. Cooking from scratch can also include making your own mixes: pancakes, baking mix (aka Bisquick), pudding mixes, etc. Many of these items allow you to use powdered milk products. I use a whey-based milk substitute called Morning Moo's, which is MUCH less expensive than liquid milk and tastes like regular milk when reconstituted (www.moosmilk.com). I make my pancake mix and baking mix using whole grains, not just white flour, which increases the nutrition and fiber.

For your "convenience" foods, make up recipes for "Gifts in a Jar" to keep in your pantry for quick-to-fix things instead of buying pre-packaged food.

3. Know what serving sizes of foods are for both adults and children. When an adult drinks 12 ounces of orange juice, they have consumed 2 servings of fruit, or half of an adults daily requirement for fruit. A serving of fruit juice for an adult is 3/4 cup (6 oz.). A serving of pasta is 1/2 cup. Many people can easily consume a whole days worth (and more) from the bread/cereal group by eating 2-3 cups of pasta during one meal along with additional bread or bread sticks. Planned meals and snacks are very important - no free between meal grazing. Water is still an excellent beverage for people of all ages.

4. Follow the New Food Guide Pyramid (for both adults and children) to know how much of what types of foods to eat for a balanced diet.

For inactive people, try following the "old" Basic Four, which would be less total calories, but still maintains a good balance of foods. I use this plan for hubby and me, and I make sure I get the most concentrated amount of nutrition from each food to begin with. Choosing whole oranges and apples, rather than orange and apple juice or a non-food like Tang. I make all our breads, for optimum nutrition, including milling the flour and adding more fiber and nutrition from additional ingredients. I also choose whole grains whenever possible. Oatmeal, or home-milled farina or multi-grain cereal combinations, instead of high-priced commercial prepared cereal.

BASIC FOUR-
    Bread/Cereal - 4 servings
    Fruits & Vegetables - 4 servings
    Meat/alternative - 2 servings
    Milk/Dairy - 2 servings

5. Check where you tend to waste food to get more from your food dollars. Forgotten fruits and vegetables that spoil or wilt before you get them used? Giving large servings to small children and you end up tossing food in the trash? Not knowing how to use leftovers, so they get tossed in the trash?

This is where meal planning comes in handy and is a good aid to use up the foods you have on hand. I also dehydrate or freeze many foods that I may find on sale. When apples are cheap, or free for the picking, in the fall, I dehydrate apple slices and use them for homemade applesauce, pie filling, and for snacking. A partial package of mushrooms can quickly be sliced and dehydrated and used later. I keep a container in the freezer for small dabs of leftover veggies. A spoonful of green beans, some cooked red beans, etc. When the quart container gets full enough, I make a pot of soup.

6. As already mentioned, divide food money from the other items. I think that's important. Most people purchase far too many cleaning products, paper towels and disposable goods. Most things that are disposable are money wasters. Rags have gone out of vogue, as have cloth napkins and cloth diapers, but are great items for the budget. Ammonia, vinegar, rubbing alcohol and bleach will clean/disinfect almost everything and cost only pennies to use when mixed with water. I use white vinegar, instead of fabric softener in the rinse.

7. What are you purchasing that you could make for less or do without completely?

-Grainlady

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These are wonderful tips. I am quitting my job at the end of the month to become a full time mom. I don't want to set my expectations too high, but I really hope to have more time to cook from scratch and more time to save on my shopping.

I do not have time to watch for sales. I go to Super Walmart and get all I need. I do only buy meat that is on sale and try to use if for a couple weeks and hope the next time I go, there will be a different meat on sale.

Another problem I have is I'm lucky if I can make it to the store once a week. I have trouble keeping fresh poduce and should do a little research on this. I feel like I am wasting in this area.

I did read the book Miserly Mom when I decided to quit and it has many tips like the ones you suggest. I might go through it again and see where I can save.

Any tips on cleaning with vinegar without the smell???

Thanks to all for your tips. I guess I was so focused on making sure the labels were reading the way I wanted, that I was making it more comlicated than it needed to be.

• parrot_phan
    17 years ago

Grainlady, your response is fantastic. I was going to post some of the same points, but you offer a better package!

My DH and I have decided that our health is worth investment in good (not necessarily expensive) food. It is in part a focus on present-day positive living and in part wanting to nuture our health through old age.

We buy poultry and meats raised without antibiotics which are more expensive than conventional meats. We also eat more dried beans, which are nutritious and yummy and inexpensive (see http://www.americanbean.org/ for info and tasty and recipes). Our eating more beans offsets the cost of the meats we chose to eat. I use both packaged dry beans (very inexpensive) and canned cooked ones (a convenience food but still not very pricey).

In winter, I make a lot of soup, which we love. It extends the meat, can include beans, and always has veggies. I serve it with homemade biscuits (made with a heart-healty oil, to avoid trans-fats and sat-fats) or rolls that I make myself in big batches and freeze. I like rolls better than loaves because portion size is easier to control -- see Grainlady's point #3.

Veggies (espeically those not based on a white potato) are important -- and people in the U.S. generally don't eat enough of them. They don't have to be cooked -- salads, raw carrot, celery, broccoli, peppers, etc. you've cut up yourself are great snacks or welcome relief at meals. Yes, kids often like theirs dunked in ranch dressing, and I say if they eat their veggies, give them ranch! DH and I prefer dipping in hummus, which can be homemade or storebought. I've served kids meals of curly-cue pasta and raw veggies, both of which they dipped into tomato sauce by hand for fun, nutritious, albeit sometimes messy, meals.

We made an intentional decision to limit our purchases of prepared convenience foods, like frozen entrees. I make my own convenience foods, by freezing soup and rolls or fruit in season, or dehydrating, as Grainlady suggests. You can also make a double batch of a healthy meal and freeze half for a quick dinner another time. When my mother was recovering from a heart attack, I made her low-sodium/heart healthy TV dinners that she could pop in the microwave -- and they cost a lot less than anything in the grocer's freezer.

Everything DH and I eat needs something nutrionally redeeming. This includes desserts, for we really enjoy a little dessert and they are our primary source of (refined) sugar since we drink only water, milk, unsweetened tea, and wine. I make my own desserts to reduce sugar and to select what ingredients that are going into our bodies.

For instance, chocolate pudding made from scratch, meets our goal because it is made with non-fat milk (and everyone who has ever eaten it loves it). Apple crisp has fresh fruit. Pumpkin pudding -- pumpkin pie without the crust, made with evaporated skim milk -- has a nice deep orange veggie, milk, eggs. Chocolate zucchini cake has a green vegetable (sometimes I use yellow squash), a healthy oil, and I add ground flaxseed.

Fixing food takes some time -- we both work outside the home full-time -- but we have decided our health and well-being are worth it.

• bud_wi
    17 years ago

rushmom3: "Any tips on cleaning with vinegar without the smell???"

I personally do not find the smell of vinegar offensive but vinegar fumes will not harm you. A lot of those 'nice smelling' cleansers that you buy at the store have some pretty harmful stuff in it - not good to breath in.

If the smell of vinegar really bothers you, you can buy some essential oils from the health food store and add them to your homeade cleaners, but of course this would be a luxury expense that you probably cannot fit in you household budget at this point.

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is all very encouraging. Like you parrot phan, I am committed to this and am looking forward to the challenge. With 3 small children, I feel it is such a gift to teach them good eating habits. I realize now that I was making it too difficult. Keep any tips coming. They are all helpful.

• joyfulguy
    17 years ago

Maybe go to visit local farmers to find what stuff they produce, then visit again when the products are available.

For example, some grow white, or navy beans - the round ones that we find in what we used to call "pork and beans", but can't call that anymore because there are more beans than pork in the can.

They'd sell you a bushel at very low cost - probably about $5.00 - 6.00.

Or you can buy wheat from them, then grind it up in a blender or food processor to make whole wheat flour, using it for porridge, or to bake bread or other baked goods.

Won't work for oats, though, as they have a heavy hull which you won't want ground up with the grain.

You can buy corn from farmers, though, for probably about $3.00 per bus. (56 lbs.) then grind it up into corn meal.

Good wishes as you proceed with your project.

Look upon it as a challenge, as fun, rather than as a drudge, or something that you're doing grudgingly, 'cause you're poor.

I find being frugal a game, a challenge, and a bit of fun.

Because - I was careful with my money (well, my money and God's money) when I was younger.

Fortunately, I have enough money that if I choose to get something, I can afford it without getting all bent out of shape. My wife left years ago (and did very well on her own) and kids are grown and long gone and have no grandkids.

ole joyful

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks joyfulguy! I am looking at it as fun! And what's better, my husband and I have actually taken off a few pounds with very little effort. That's rewarding as well.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    17 years ago

there have been lots of good tips here. I strongly second doing your own baking (or at least buy bread at the outlet store). I only buy my meat on the "sell-by" date when it has been marked down 30-50%--it goes straight into the freezer after repackaging into single meal quantities. and, like most other cultures, use it more for flavor than the mainstay--we only need 2-3 ounces of meat per day if not vegetarian. Even skim milk can be bought on sale and frozen. I make oatmeal flour and mix for buckwheat biscuits. Whole wheat Tortillas and whole wheat couscous are my other big sources of grain, as I do not like rice much--I have found inexpensive sources for both.
    I have not got a green thumb nor time or space for canning/freezing very often, but I do grow grape tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cilantro, chives and ginger in pots and dry them for later use. When money was really tight--I foraged a bit:Raspberries and mulberries grow wild around here, free for the picking. Also I have not been shy about picking fruit from trees that are left over from old farms but are now in odd random places-- like the edge of the school soccer field or the edge of the tire store's parking lot--and are just going to waste. (No, they are not as big & pretty as the store bought but just as nutritious). Just ask permission first. Likewise leftover pumpkins after halloween-free and they make great frozen puree for all sorts of things.
    I do want to encourage you to take the time to check out the ads every week (you can even do it online) and become really familiar with the best prices on things (regular and sale) and how regularly they go on sale. I rarely buy things not on sale. I believe that Walmart will match any price if you bring in the ad. Big Lots is a place to sometimes find great bargains. Lastly, spend the least possible on something that will be thrown away (ie toilet paper) even if it is not the softest. I never buy paper towels. But I do make sure that I have one box of the softest nasal tissue in case I get a cold!!I hate a sore nose!!
    I have often found dish detergent etc. on clearance & stocked up. And have found over the years that I can get things clean with a lot less product (and products). Good luck to you-

• kec01
    17 years ago

I've just finished reading a fairly new book by Michael Pollan called "Omnivore's Dilemma" and my eyes were sure opened to the food industry in the US! In his book, Pollan discusses how foods in the US are raised/grown. Learning that most of the American diet is corn in one form or another was a real eye opener for me. Our family's eating practices have already started changing as a result of this book and additional learning that we're doing. The
    attached link provides a good review of the book. The book itself presents a not often heard insight into the OP's question of healthy eating.

Here is a link that might be useful: review of book

• steve_o
    17 years ago

I go to Super Walmart and get all I need. I do only buy meat that is on sale

Be careful about the meat and poultry sold at SW. Much of it is "enhanced" with a water/sodium solution which 1) increases your sodium intake [a potential medical concern] and 2) means you're paying beef or chicken prices for water [If $2.99/lb pork is injected with a 15% "enhancing" solution, you're essentially paying $3.52/lb for that pork -- it may be no longer be a bargain].

I have trouble keeping fresh poduce and should do a little research on this. I feel like I am wasting in this area.

Research definitely will help. There are better ways to store some produce and some produce choices which are less fragile than others. There's also knowing what to do with produce that's on the verge of "bad".

Also I have not been shy about picking fruit from trees that are left over from old farms but are now in odd random places-- like the edge of the school soccer field or the edge of the tire store's parking lot--and are just going to waste.

Be careful about that, too. Trees and shrubs which happen to be producing fruit but are not in areas designated for growing food for human consumption may be exposed to chemicals (herbicides, fungicides, etc.) or levels of those chemicals which would not be found in "food-grade" goods because people are not expected to eat that fruit.

• marie26
    17 years ago

Steve, you wrote: There are better ways to store some produce and some produce choices which are less fragile than others. There's also knowing what to do with produce that's on the verge of "bad".

Do you have a link that you trust that gives these answers?

• rushmom3
    Original Author
    17 years ago

kec01, I'll have to get that. My "ah ha" moment came with an episode of Oprah with Dr. Oz. He put things in terms that I could understand. He made me realize what we are putting into our body and it really sunk in. I've been conscience of it ever since and am ready to learn more.

steve o, I would be curious about your tips for keeping produce fresh. I'm sure some of it has to do with my fridge. Just bought a head of romaine lettuce and it froze within a day.

And Grainlady, your simple tip of watching where we tend to waste is so simple, but so helpful. Example, I've always made a double batch of spaghetti for our family of 5 expecting to eat leftovers the next evening. We rarely eat them, but I always made a double batch for whatever reaon. Made a single batch for dinner and finished up the leftovers for lunch. No waste. And watching how much I put on the kids plate. I can always give them another serving.

• grainlady_ks
    17 years ago

Since both cooked spaghetti and spaghetti sauce (with or without meat) freeze well (together or separately), that's what I'd do with the leftovers when making a double batch. I utilize our freezer for a lot of our food, and as I've already said, package it in 1 or 2 serving sizes. It's easy to assemble a whole meal from the freezer and all it needs is thawed and/or heated.

The spaghetti sauce can be used to top homemade pizzas (for small amounts of leftover sauce), and the cooked spaghetti can become the basis for all kinds of other dishes besides spaghetti and red sauce. Individual-size amounts of spaghetti make a good lunch-for-one. I make a batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it in 1-cup containers - which is enough for two of us for one meal. Then I boil the spaghetti as-needed.

We also have a "vegetarian day" once a week, which helps save on the most expensive food in the budget - meat. We usually have something with eggs, cheese, or beans in the meals on vegetarian day.

I purchase grass-fed beef/bison, and locally-raised and processed poultry and pork, which may cost more, but I think are a good health investment once you've studied the benefits of grass-fed beef. Plus, they are readily available and I know the producers. We're not big meat eaters and make a little go a long way.

I agree with what steve o posted (above) on the subject of Wal-Mart meat. A friend of mine got the sheet from the butcher at Wal-Mart with a list of all the "stuff" they put in their meat. Yuck!!!

If a whole day without meat won't work for you, then try vegetarian lunches for several days out of the week. That good old tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich comes to mind... Lots of non-meat Mexican dishes, which most people seem to like.

I'd have to say using a FoodSaver is a great way to keep produce much longer. Lettuce keeps for long periods of time if sealed in a canister (or you can also seal it in canning jars if you don't have the canisters). Most root vegetables have a much longer shelf-life than things like fruit and greens to begin with. What I don't get used up quickly, I will slice and dehydrate or freeze. Things I have dehydrated include cherries, tomatoes, mushrooms, potato slices, peppers (sweet green/red/yellow), celery, apples, homemade fruit roll-ups, jerky, bananas (a good book on the subject is "Making & Using Dried Foods" by Phyllis Hobson).

I have made a cold-frame and grow lettuce, spinach, turnip greens, and other cold-hearty greens nearly all winter long. I also keep pots of herbs in the house during the winter months, so we always have fresh parsley, chives, and thyme. Even a small garden can help with the cost of food. Lettuce can be grown in pots, and doesn't even need a whole garden space.

When potatoes were on sale recently, buy one bag - get one free, that was more than we could use before they would sprout, so I made them into "Freezer Mashed Potatoes" (Google for recipes) and quick-froze them in serving-size dollops (using an ice cream scoop) on cookie sheets, and popped the dollops into a vacuum-sealed bag. Thaw and heat in the microwave or in an oven that may be cooking something else. I also dehydrate potato slices and make them into scalloped potato dishes, and dehydrated in shoestring strips, you can rehydrated them and use them for hash browns.

I'd have to say my freezer, dehydrator, and FoodSaver are where my food savings come from. Cook once, and eat for several meals is a good energy saver and makes meals quick and easy.

-Grainlady

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

If lettuce is freezing in your fridge, keep it away from any of the side walls and maybe turn down the temp. Any produce normally kept in a bag (like lettuce) will stay much fresher if you put a paper towel or a piece of flannel in with the food to absorb the moisture.

We rarely eat leftovers, so I've gotten in the habit of putting them directly into the freezer. My yougest really likes spaghetti, so on an evening we are eating sandwiches I'll pull that out for him.

Really, the biggest bang for your buck is meal planning. By going to the store and trying to figure out meals with the meat on sale, you may end up not being able to make much if you don't keep a well stocked pantry. I'd try and watch the sales a bit more. Lots of us do with kids along, also. We just have to make the time since it's important.

Growing food has been a really fun and educational process. Since it's winter, I'd connect with a local home extension office, read as much as possible about your local growing conditions and be ready to at least start a lettuce bed in the spring. My kids love growing carrots, potatoes, spinach, lettuce, peas, beans and cabbage. We live in a cool climate and can't do things like corn, but fruit plants like raspberries grow well here. I don't can, since I can't grow in that large of quantities, but a package of pea seeds is less than the cost of a bag of frozen peas and we get more than is in that bag. Making jam is fun and is more interesting to kids learning to eat different foods. They'll try things they grow themselves.

Gloria

• beckyb
    17 years ago

I make a double batch of spaghetti for my family- then use the leftovers to make spaghetti pie. This is really lasagna but I just substitute spaghetti for the lasagna noodles. I either freeze this dish for later or put it in the fridge to serve several days later.
    Good luck with your stay at home venture. I chose to stay at home with my kids 14 years ago. We have had a few "character builder" days but I have no regrets.
    Every locale is different but I find I spend a lot of money when I go to Walmart. I do watch sale ads online and ad match which helps.
    Becky

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

"Super stores" plan to make you part with more money when you shop there for groceries. You see other things that you might need or want or sale merchandise that seems too good to be true.

I find shopping at a simple grocery store is actually a money saver. I have compared prices over and over again to our super stores -- and prices are the same or cheaper. They will match ad prices -- and their meat dept. is fantastic. Of course, they close at 9 at night and are not open on Sunday.

A couple of more money saving tips --- when make tacos -- add a can of drained and rinsed plain black beans and a can of drained chopped tomatoes to your meat. You increase the fiber and nutrients and stretch the pound of ground beef or ground turkey farther.

I too, only shop once a week. So my produce choices sometimes control my menu plans. Berries, grapes and avocados are used immediately after purchase. I buy my bananas as green as I can get them and let them ripen thru out the week. Apples and oranges have longer "shelf" life so they are the fruits of choice later in the week.

Stuffed baked potatoes are favorites at our house. I'll bake a russet or sweet potato and cover it with a mixture of sauted brocolli, onions, mushrooms with a little ham and top with a little shredded cheddar cheese. Its a great way to use left-overs.

To save money -- buy in bulk. And I don't mean Costco or Sam's Club! Buy a piece of cheese and shred it yourself -- the price per ounce goes down tremedously.

I buy all spices, dried beans, rice, oatmeal, cornmeal at a health food store or Amish country store. There is no packaging -- you scoop out what you need and put it in a plastic bag. Once -- at home-- everything goes into old glass canning jars or large pickle jars to stay fresh. Much cheaper per ounce -- as you are not paying for packaging.

Do check pricing though -- some health food stores will be more of a premium price.

Cathy

• steve_o
    17 years ago

quiltglo mentioned one of the great tips: paper towels (or regular clean dishcloths [sp?]) in the bag/container with some items to keep them humid but not soggy. Others:

- If your refrigerator allows you to modify the humidity in the crisper drawers, do it. Make one a high-humidity drawer and one a low-humidity drawer. The high-humidity drawer should contain fruits and vegetables without rinds (celery, lettuce, berries, peaches, etc.). The other items (oranges, wax-coated turnips, avocadoes, etc.) go into the low-humidity drawer. Food lasts longer when it's in an appropriate environment.

- Most food should not be trimmed or prepped until just before you use it. I know Raechel Ray makes a big deal out of prepping your fruits and vegetables as soon as you get home, and people like to buy pre-peeled/sliced raw veggies, but trimming carrot tops and celery bottoms and rinsing berries before use does not extend their shelf lives. Trimming obviously bad spots and bruises, though, will. Just store appropriately after that.

- Bulk cheeses should be stored carefully. I usually store hard cheeses (like Parmesan) either loosely wrapped or (better) in their own container with a paper towel to absorb moisture.

- If you're slicing more than one kind of cheese at the same time, clean off the knife or use a different one for each cheese to avoid cross-contamination. Many cheeses are based on bacterial cultures -- but not always the same ones (!).

- One of the ironies of modern life is that sometimes food can have too many preservatives. I buy my bread at the co-op, and I buy the kind with whole grains and no artificial anything and no preservatives. That bread will keep -- on the counter -- for at least 4-6 weeks without molding. The stuff from the "regular" grocery store (with the alphabet soup of preservatives in it) goes off within a couple of weeks.

For Web sites I would trust (I can't think of any right off the top of my head), I'd check your local state university or county extension, if you have one. Failing that, try Web sites for Iowa State University, The Ohio State University, the University of Minnesota, and the University of North Carolina (to mention sites I've looked at and learned from).

• marie26
    17 years ago

Clink wrote: They [Supermarkets] will match ad prices. Which supermarket do you go to?

Do the supermarkets such as Safeway, Albertson's and IGA do this as well?

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

I go to a small one called Fareway -- it is state wide but not a huge chain. I think IGA will match others ad prices.

We don't have Safeway or Albertsons in this area but our Hy-vee and schnucks will match prices.

Cathy

• marie26
    17 years ago

I am going to ask the supermarkets in this area if they will match ad prices. If they do, it will certainly make it easier to shop at one store instead of going to each one for a better deal. I'm lucky, though, that all 4 supermarkets are within 2 miles of each other.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

"I buy my bread at the co-op, and I buy the kind with whole grains and no artificial anything and no preservatives. That bread will keep -- on the counter -- for at least 4-6 weeks without molding."

Wonder why that is, Steve? The bread I buy at our local bakery with no preservatives, etc. goes stale very quickly if we don't eat it up. I usually buy whole wheat. If I leave it exposed to the sunlight, it will mold really fast.

Gloria

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Wonder why that is, Steve? The bread I buy at our local bakery with no preservatives, etc. goes stale very quickly if we don't eat it up. I usually buy whole wheat. If I leave it exposed to the sunlight, it will mold really fast.

I don't know. I don't have any around the house right now, but I will check this weekend while I'm at the co-op. Maybe it's yeast-free -- I've purchased a "summer bread" (from another bakery) that lasts a long time, too, and I know that one is yeast-less.

It also may be that I'm less sensitive to it getting stale because I usually toast it. If bread does get stale on me, it becomes croutons or bread crumbs. But I suspect toasting it masks a fair amount of staleness.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Well, I'm back from the co-op. It's Great Harvest Bread Co. Sunflower Whole Wheat bread. Ingredients are: 100% whole wheat flour, water, sunflower seeds, honey, yeast, salt. The label notes "Contains wheat and egg whites"; I suspect that's there because the bread is processed on equipment that handles egg whites. So I have no good idea of why it lasts as long as it does, but I'm glad it does. It's not the least expensive bread out there, but it's no bargain if I buy cheaper stuff I have to throw out early because of mold.

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Our bakery is called Great Harvest, too! They are starting to put out the white chocolate cherry bread again, so I guess I know what we'll be munching on for the new few weeks. Love that stuff!

Gloria

• steve_o
    17 years ago

GH is a franchise. They do have some very tasty breads. It's one store where I really have to watch myself!

• bry84
    17 years ago

One good solution to wasted vegetables is to buy frozen. In some cases it's cheaper, although not always, I only buy frozen peppers and mushrooms for this reason.

I also buy some items pickled. Garlic, being expensive here and only sold in large cloves is much cheaper bought this way. I bought a 1 Kg jar for 0.99, otherwise it would cost well over £20.

The advantage to frozen and pickled items is they keep for a long time, this means almost none will be wasted, and also I can buy larger packets which makes the cost per Kg lower.

• wjswecampbell
    17 years ago

Make a menu according to how and when you shop.If it is weekly then buy fresh fruits and veggies that will last at least 3 or 4 days. After those have been eaten then use what is canned or frozen. Frozen veggies are almost always a good buy. They are fast frozen and keep almost all nutrients. I love yellow squash but it is expensive here. I saw them on sale and bought several pounds,hoping to free them. I got on the www and found out that what you do is blanche them, then freeze. It worked :) the squash is great. You just have to look for things that you like that are on sale. As far as snacks go the best thing is fruits and veggies. Apples, oranges, grapes, carrots, celery, raisins ,cheerios, applesauce, yogurt,graham crackers and peanut butter. Most of the time these are the most frugal buys and the healthiest.
    I live in Texas. I think that the prices here aren't very good on fruits and veggies.A lot of the produce comes from California. I lived there and my hubby used to move ag. Good luck in the frugal game.

• rachelrachel
    17 years ago

I like to extend my fruit juice with fruity teas. I make something like Red Zinger Raspberry tea in a teapot. I put the teapot in the fridge after it has cooled down. Then when I want juice I mix it with the tea. This is more economical and calorie conscious that drinking lots of juice.

• luvmygoldenpup
    17 years ago

I recently bought a cookbook called "Cheap. Fast. Good!"
    by Beverly Mills, Alicia Ross. It is fantastic! Not only do the recipes in the book stay true to the title, but most are quite healthy as well. The book also includes many practical tips on how to save money with your grocery bill. I highly recommend it!

• clueless1959
    17 years ago

rushmomAre there other ways you can save money to allow more money for food? Don't get me wrong you are doing the right thing by buying food as healty and cheaply as possible.

Do you or have you shopped at yard sales and garage sales for your kids clothing? I've raised my 3 and now my gbabies on yard sale clothing esp while they was little and did not know one brand or character from another. As the clothing was out grown it was put in a box and saved for my own yard sale I used the money I made from my sale to buy more yard sale clothes a size bigger. That saved me more money than anything else I've done.

I remember when my youngest was a baby taking her to the supermarket dressed to kill she was a doll a couple ladies walked by said BOY I sure wouldn't want to pay to dress that baby she's cute but expensive. The baby had on no more than a 1.50's worth of clothing.

I have been a SAHM for 30 yrs never worked away from home. there was times I prolly needed to but hubby was totally against it even when he only made 5.00 to much a month to get food stamps and I had 2 babies under the age of 2.

OH and you asked about cleaning with vinegar without the smell. The vinegar smell evaporates very quickly. Having something on the stove simmering that smells good helps. too. Even a pan of water with an orange peel in it and it can serve 2 puposes 1 making house smell good and puting moisture in the air which can be a problem if house is to dry in winter.

Good luck with becoming a SAHM

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH