SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mid_tn_mama

Saving Time so You Can Save Money

mid_tn_mama
20 years ago

A big part of being frugal is having the time to fix and make things yourself. Many folks feel they can't afford (timewise) to be frugal. So I thought it would be helpful to mention ways you save time so that you have time to be frugal.

I'll start: Every morning I put out a fresh clean dishrag and towel, take yesterdays dishcloth and towel to the laundry room. On my way there, I use the damp cloth to clean spots on the floors/doorways that I see on my way there. This keeps my floors which are swept daily but not washed daily looking nice.

When waiting in a waiting room, I cull the trash from my purse and make lists of things I need to do.

When I lived in a neighborhood, my neighbors and I would do errands for each other. If we were going to the post office--we'd ask anyone if they had any packages they would like mailed, etc..Did the same for grocer and dry cleaning. This saves gas too.

When I cook dinner, I always double or triple the recipe so I can freeze one or two meals for later. This way, I only cook three days a week--the rest are heated up from the last weeks stash (so we don't get sick of eating the same things) If your family doesn't like leftovers, this might work for them.

When cleaning, I keep a box by the door to put in all the things that don't belong in that room. I stay in that room cleaning that way and not off on wild goose chases or get distracted.

I don't believe in grounding children or giving time-outs--that doesn't help me. What does help me is that a child who doesn't follow rules will find they have extra chores. Having them wipe their fingerprints off wall, doors and windows will also remind them of the consequences of doing that (I don't punish for doing that, just use that as a chore regularly). My kids will know how to clean a house, fix dinner, buy groceries and fix household repairs before they leave home. BTW--my DD, upon hearing that a friend always gets grounded retorted, "You're lucky, we have to do chores--I wish I were grounded!"

Pantyhose with rips are kept in a separate bag to be washed. Then saved for frugal things like tying tomatoes to stakes. Yesterday I tied up the garden hoses for the season with them. They are great to use for putting in the spices for making pickles (washed well, of course).

I clean out the refrigerator before I go shopping each week--that way it's as empty as it's gonna be so it's easier to clean.

I sweep the floors (no carpet) every day so that there is less dust going throughout the house to clean later. I believe in putting rugs inside and outside of every outer door--it really cuts down on dirt brought in the house.

I've finally invested in extra trash baskets--one on each side of the bed, for instance--because it will be thrown away if the trash basket is close by.

I do some very easy breakfast things which I'll post on another thread.

Please add your time saving tips.

Comments (11)