SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Season's Greetings and Money-saving Idea from Ole Joyful

joyfulguy
21 years ago

Hi all,

Several groups, including religions, have celebrations to honour the longer days and future promise offered at the winter solstice.

Christians have encompassed? taken in? (stolen?), embraced various celebrations and activities, including the Christmas Tree, originally used by others.

If you celebrate Christmas, I offer my good wishes for a memorable, merry celebration, this year, with good friends and relatives, remembering God's great gift to us. Save the family squabbles, jealousies and envies for another time - but deal with them later. Bury the hatchet (not in a relative's head ... please)!

Life's too short to carry around such negative baggage which separates us from our loved ones.

Let your primary gifts be gifts of love.

Good wishes to each of you, including folks to whom Christmas is, if not unknown, not an important event.

As you look forward to the New Year, I hope that it brings the fulfillment of several of your hopes and dreams and the generation of some new and worthy ones. Some new friends and much happiness as you go.

Here's a gift idea from Ole Ed - that will build friendships for you, as well as save you hundreds or, more likely, thousands, during your lifetime. Unless you have one foot in the grave, at present.

Sit down at your computer.

Write the name of everyone that you know: relatives, friends, colleagues in community, social, sport, fraternal, church, workplace, etc.

Add phone numbers and email addresses of each, over time.

Write down their professional training, type of work, other interests, hobbies, places where they've vacationed and anything else about them that may be of interest later.

Add amendments and updates as you go - much easier on computer than with paper records!

When you meet friends, note items that may be of interest to add to your list later. Ask a few questions from time to time, but - please - don't give them the third degree!

You'll soon find that when such information comes up, your ears will prick up and you'll note the information, to feed your computer later.

If you hear of possibly an older person who trades vehicles every three or four years, next time your jalopy shows signs of giving up the ghost, give her a call to see whether, if she plans to upgrade soon, she'd be interested to have her car price evaluated by two or three mechanics, then you buy it privately: she'll get a better deal on her new one if she doesn't have a trade-in. You both win.

From time to time, ask friends for recommendations of professionals that they use: doctor, plumber, day care service, renovator, house cleaner, dentist, financial advisor, tire dealer, lawyer, etc. Better to get such recommendations ahead of time of need, especially for emergency issues.

Get out an interesting little newsletter from time to time, e.g. pass on some of the good ideas that you learn here. Can send to those with email at no cost. Ask for their suggestions about other ideas that may be of interest to pass around. You'll gain popularity, and if you make some recommendations to others, they'll owe you one.

I'll be surprised if that list won't save you hundreds, more likely thousands, during your lifetime.

joyful Ed

P.S. As a short-term-in-teen smoker sharing a family tendency to weak lungs, thankful I had the good sense to quit long ago, I share with others on a website www.quitnet.org where people are trying to Quit smoking.

Recently someone was discussing saving money with in-laws, they referred to having seen me talk on this site of saving a lot of money by quitting smoking. The person came here to check it, then went to quitnet, saw a person's post saying that he felt as though he'd lost his best friend - precisely what this person felt.

So s/he quit about Father's Day, "cold turkey" (without chemical aids) and, after something over 4 days, came on quitnet forum to thank the other person and me.

We appreciated her/his thoughtfulness in doing so - as someone said there some time ago - when someone has helped you, thank them.

That person may enjoy better health, a longer, more enjoyable life and greater prosperity - huge dollars saved.

What did it cost me? Some time to make some keystrokes, which I, being retired, have.

When you drop a pebble into a pond, the ripples run a long way - and the internet is a large pond!

As you surf the net, offer such information - it may be a lifesaver to someone.

And it cost some bandwidth on That Home Site and on Quitnet, administered by Boston University, both offering wide variety of useful services.

Both, being free sites, need our contributions. The $15.00 here actually costs us Canadians about Cdn$23.00.

A bargain, don't you think?

EB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz