SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

Beauty savings tips

junkyardgirl
16 years ago

Those tubes of makeup hold onto a lot after you think they're empty. I cut one open once, and got 7 days use out of it when I usually would have thrown it away. I usually buy the cheapest good makeup I can find, like at Big Lots, and mix light and dark shades to save money. I also use a lighter shade as an undereye cover cream.

To save on lipstick, buy a lip brush (got mine at the Dollar Tree) and use it to get the lipstick out of the bottom of the tube. Don't buy expensive lip gloss. You can dig this leftover lipstick out, mix it with petroleum jelly half and half, and have great lipgloss for pennies!

As for eyeliner, I use the cheap eyeshadow from the Dollar Tree (Aziza) that has the 6 shades in it. I use the darkest shade as liner, and the others as shadow. That way, my liner always matches my shadow. Invariably, the liner will run out before the shadow, but it only cost $1, and it usually lasts for months.

That leftover lipstick can double as blush in a pinch, also. I also buy my blush at the Dollar Tree, and mix shades to get the color I want. Usually, the lighter shade runs out first, so I just mix the darker one with some cheap face powder to lighten it. Works great!

You don't have to have expensive night creams. Dollar stores usually have great thick creams available. I have never paid over $2 for night cream or face moisturizer. Actually, baby oil is a great moisturizer for non-oily skin. Be sure to rub the excess off so it won't get on your pillowcase. Oily skin doesn't need a moisturizer, so don't waste your money.

Rough feet? Add salt to Crisco and rub away dead skin. If you can bear to sleep in socks, rub vaseline on your feet every night and then don your socks. You can do the same with your hands and cotton gloves.

Want a facial? For oily skin, use oatmeal. For dry skin, use eggwhites.

To tighten pores, use Witch Hazel instead of alcohol based astringents. Works great, and is so much better for your skin. If you're lucky, one of your local dollar stores carries this.

If you use waterbased mascara, you can use cheap hand lotion to remove your eye makeup. It moisturizes the eye area at the same time.

For waterproof mascara, use baby oil or vaseline to remove it. If you use vaseline, you'll have to wipe your eyes with a cotton ball dipped in witch hazel to remove it.

For beautiful hair, rub vegetable oil (better for your hair than baby oil) into it once a week and cover with a shower cap for 30 minutes. Wash well and style.

You don't have to pay for expensive leave in conditioners. Just take a cheaper version (like Suave or White Rain) and massage a small portion into your hair and leave in. You may have to experiment with the amount. Blow dry or style as usual. One bottle can last so much longer this way than if you slather it on and rinse it out. The amount you put on is about the same as what is left in your hair using the other method.

For beautiful fingernails, rub vaseline into the cuticles and nails every night before you go to bed. It softens the cuticles, but not your nails.

Got a sudden zit? Use chlorine bleach to dry it up overnight. Just dab it on with a q-tip right on the zit before you go to bed. This also works if you feel a cold sore coming on.

Comments (14)