Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beauty savings tips

Posted by junkyardgirl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 07 at 22:22

Those tubes of makeup hold onto a lot after you think they're empty. I cut one open once, and got 7 days use out of it when I usually would have thrown it away. I usually buy the cheapest good makeup I can find, like at Big Lots, and mix light and dark shades to save money. I also use a lighter shade as an undereye cover cream.

To save on lipstick, buy a lip brush (got mine at the Dollar Tree) and use it to get the lipstick out of the bottom of the tube. Don't buy expensive lip gloss. You can dig this leftover lipstick out, mix it with petroleum jelly half and half, and have great lipgloss for pennies!

As for eyeliner, I use the cheap eyeshadow from the Dollar Tree (Aziza) that has the 6 shades in it. I use the darkest shade as liner, and the others as shadow. That way, my liner always matches my shadow. Invariably, the liner will run out before the shadow, but it only cost $1, and it usually lasts for months.

That leftover lipstick can double as blush in a pinch, also. I also buy my blush at the Dollar Tree, and mix shades to get the color I want. Usually, the lighter shade runs out first, so I just mix the darker one with some cheap face powder to lighten it. Works great!

You don't have to have expensive night creams. Dollar stores usually have great thick creams available. I have never paid over $2 for night cream or face moisturizer. Actually, baby oil is a great moisturizer for non-oily skin. Be sure to rub the excess off so it won't get on your pillowcase. Oily skin doesn't need a moisturizer, so don't waste your money.

Rough feet? Add salt to Crisco and rub away dead skin. If you can bear to sleep in socks, rub vaseline on your feet every night and then don your socks. You can do the same with your hands and cotton gloves.

Want a facial? For oily skin, use oatmeal. For dry skin, use eggwhites.

To tighten pores, use Witch Hazel instead of alcohol based astringents. Works great, and is so much better for your skin. If you're lucky, one of your local dollar stores carries this.

If you use waterbased mascara, you can use cheap hand lotion to remove your eye makeup. It moisturizes the eye area at the same time.

For waterproof mascara, use baby oil or vaseline to remove it. If you use vaseline, you'll have to wipe your eyes with a cotton ball dipped in witch hazel to remove it.

For beautiful hair, rub vegetable oil (better for your hair than baby oil) into it once a week and cover with a shower cap for 30 minutes. Wash well and style.

You don't have to pay for expensive leave in conditioners. Just take a cheaper version (like Suave or White Rain) and massage a small portion into your hair and leave in. You may have to experiment with the amount. Blow dry or style as usual. One bottle can last so much longer this way than if you slather it on and rinse it out. The amount you put on is about the same as what is left in your hair using the other method.

For beautiful fingernails, rub vaseline into the cuticles and nails every night before you go to bed. It softens the cuticles, but not your nails.

Got a sudden zit? Use chlorine bleach to dry it up overnight. Just dab it on with a q-tip right on the zit before you go to bed. This also works if you feel a cold sore coming on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beauty savings tips

Wow Junk...those are some great tips.

For hair conditioner, I took an old hair spray bottle, and mixed water with just a small amount of conditioner in it. I find it is just a good as the expensive leave in sprays and a lot handier than using the conditioner in the shower.

Sue

o

My Grandmother always had beautiful,pale,unwrinkled skin on her face. She used Crisco as a moisturizer, and that was 40 years ago!

o

I'm super cheap when it comes to make-up, but I feel like I have to throw a caution out re: bacteria and other icky things. Make sure you clean all of your make-up brushes regularly and throw out mascara every few months. I'll add a touch of nail polish remover to older bottles of polish that are starting to clump up - but those are my nails. I don't mess with anything that goes near my eyes.

And ultimately, the thing that has saved the most money for me is finding products I like and sticking to them. I hate spending $8 on a lipstick that doesn't suit me. $8 on lipstick I actually wear and will last for months doens't bother me so much.

Friends have told me that they are saving money on mineral make-ups because they use so much less, even though the products are more expensive. I keep meaning to try it, but I haven't made the leap yet.

o

That is good advice. I actually do rotate my mascara pretty regularly, but I still look for the best bargains. I'm not like my friend, who just fills her old mascara up with peroxide and leaves it for a few minutes, then uses what's left. I don't think I could do that. Also, don't ever lick the tip of your eyeliner or mascara, then put it on your eyes. I've seen people do that, and it always grossed me out. I clean my makeup brushes daily. I haven't found a lipstick that will stay on all day yet. The one I did years ago was awful! It stained your lips, and you couldn't get it off.

I don't even wear lipstick to work anymore. Just red tinted chapstick.

o

My friend, the "Makeup Queen" always has a bunch of freebies from her many visits to makeup counters. She gave me some good-sized samples of body dusting powder and I mixed one with 2-cups cornstarch. It smells the same as the EXpensive stuff at a fraction of the cost, and I think it actually works better than plain talcum powder in the summer.

For a moisturizer and hand cream, I use Lou Ana brand coconut oil that I get at Wal-Mart (next to the Crisco). I also cook with it, so it's not just for one-use only.

I make my own pots of lip gloss using coconut oil as the base ingredient, a little beeswax, cocoa butter, and vitamin E oil.

-Grainlady

o

I dont use any of that stuff, saves me a bundle, and I don't have to worry about curling my eyelashes to keep them from falling over my eyes.

o

But Mikie...are you pretty?...something to think about...huh?

Sue

o

I think makeup is a personal matter. I find that most northern women I've known wear much less than my southern counterparts. I don't know why, but it seems that way.

I just like the way I look with it, and don't like the way I look without it. Some people ARE more attractive with makeup, sad to say, and should learn to use it. I'm one of them. Still, I don't consider myself pretty, but I'd like to look as good as I can.

o

Thanks for some great tips! I like to take advantage of combining sales with coupons and rebates to get make-up for free from CVS and Walgreens. I also request all of the free samples by mail I can find because sometimes they are suprisingly generous in size (and usually include coupons).

o

I love xmas time - you can go around the fragrance counters and ask for the sample bottles. Since I don't wear fragrances very often, they usually hold me for most of the year.

o

For that ugly pimple i dab some strong hold hairspray on it. Be sure to use the really strong and sticky kind. I spray it on my finger then dab it on the pimple. Let it dry and apply your make up over it. It dries out that pimple in no time.

o

Whenever there's a scented page in a women's magazine, I tear it off and stick it in mmy underwear drawer. Not a beauty hint,just plain cheap, and I like perfumes!

o

Jannie,

Putting the scented strip from women's magazines in your underwear drawer is a great hint. Will try that! Usually put them in my purse and enjoy the smell when I open it.

Dora Lou

o

Trying to increase my beauty would be akin to trying to push a rope uphill.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here