Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
qualifying for SS

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 4, 08 at 22:15

DH read about this one in the Wall Street Journal. If your spouse is getting Social Security and you are not doing so as yet (but you are of an age that you could but don't want to yet), you qualify to receive 1/2 the amount monthly that your spouse does while to the spouse still receives 100% of his or her benefits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: qualifying for SS

(but you are of an age that you could but don't want to yet)

Oh...I see...draw 1/2 off of spouse, and continue to work...or maybe not? One is limited on how much they can earn though while drawing SS, b4 it cuts into the SS.

Then when the spouse wants to draw their SS from the wages they have earned, later, then their SS would be higher.

hmmm...very complicated.

As married couples enter their sixties, they face an important, and difficult, decision: when to start collecting Social Security. Logically, husbands should start taking benefits early while their wives should claim higher benefits later. Because women tend to live longer than men, the presumption is that women are more likely to reach the "break-even age" -- when the total value of those higher benefits exceeds the total value of lower early-retirement benefits.

Taken from the link below to an article dated 11/2007

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Make the Most of Social Security

o
RE: qualifying for SS

I don't know for sure, but the 1/2 seems a little high.

My SS paying years were a long time ago. When I quit working, the maximum SS tax paid was $147 a year!! I draw on my husband's as it gave me twice as much as I would get on my own record. It is not less than 1/2 of what he gets.

My suggestion would be to call the SS office and ask them the questions you need answered. That's the only way to know for sure. I found them to be very nice and helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here