Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Supermarket stories

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 05 at 21:38

I was at my local supermarket "Super 1" and caught an error at the cash register which the cashier corrected. On the way out, I was looking over my receipt and found another mistake. I was charged full price for a sale item. I went back to the customer service counter and I was given back the full cost of the item

I was told by 2 persons at the customer service counter that the scanning person was out sick so mistakes happen. I said back to one that perhaps they should have a sign that warned people to be extra careful of their prices on days without this person. Also, the store assistant manager told me that the store's policy is to give you the item for free should they charge you a wrong price. This surprised me because I had never been given the full price back for any of their previous mistakes.

So, it pays to check your prices and find out the store's policy from management.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Supermarket stories

Here in Michigan we have the "scanning law". If you are overcharged and the price on the item is lower than the one scanned, they must give you the difference back PLUS 10 times the amount of the overcharge up to $5. But, don't tell them at the register, because they can just change the price and no "scanning reward".
I was overcharged on garbage bags by 50 cents. That meant a return of my 50 cent overcharge plus a $5 "reward". To top it off, they had to give it to me again one month later, no one had fixed it! If the stores want to pay me to shop, then fine!
Kathy G in MI

o
RE: Supermarket stories

We have one store which honors the "you get the item for free" policy.....most others will give you the money you were overcharged back....the excuse I hear most often is "the guy hasn't gotten the sale price into the computer yet". I agree it pays to check your saleslip...and if possible before you leave the store (so you don't have to drive back).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here