Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn! It didn't work!

Posted by junkyardgirl (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 07 at 20:27

Tried the ammonia on the newspaper to get some badly burned on grease off an almost new t-fal no stick frying pan, but it didn't work. It did work on the grease screen I put into the same bag, though.

Any other suggestions? I left it in there for two days, out in the sun one day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn! It didn't work!

Are you talking about on the inside or outside of the pan? Inside, just soak it in a good dish soap like Dawn or Joy. Outside of the pan, try some BarKeepers Friend. Otherwise the Power Dissolver works good on a variety of burned on things. It was the only thing I've found that will take off "Pam" from baking pans. Maybe a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is worth a try too. Even try a direct coating of the dish soap, full strength and let it sit.

o

First cleaning product I always reach for is baking soda. Try making a paste of it with water. Spread on the burned spot (whether inside or outside of the pot), let sit a bit, then scrub with a nylon scrubby.

Baking soda is safe--it's non-toxic and non-abrasive, it's cheap, you have it on hand, it's super effective (I've even gotten grape juice and Koolaid stains out of white formica with it) and it's anti-bacterial. And I've yet to find a kitchen mess it won't clean.

o

Inside of the pan, around the top. Grease overheated and got burnt out. I got most of the gunk out of the bottom by putting Dawn in water and putting it on low heat, covered, for about an hour, but the hard stuff on the top of the inside still didn't come off.

I guess I'll just have to use elbow grease to save the pan. I just bought it! Stupid me just got on the computer and let it burn.

o

junkyardgirl - whose pan isn't yet ready for the junkyard,

Get a kitchen timer when you have the stove on under a pot and have been seduced by the computer.

I did.

It works ... sometimes.

Trouble is, I twisted the handle too hard to set it going, and knocked the little stick-out thing off that triggers the bell, so now there's no "Ding" ... and it just runs on.

Life do have its problems!

ole joyful

o

Junkyardgirl - hope youre still lurking here, even if you said youre going elsewhere. To atone for any misconceived assault on your integrity, let me humbly offer a solution to your frying pan problem - if it's still not resolved. Otherwise, try this method next time...

I support the suggested "reaching for the baking soda" BUT use it in a different way...

Put enough water to cover the burnt area on the bottom.
Add 1 or 2 teaspoon (more or less) of baking soda.
Bring it to a boil and turn it down just to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Dont let it boil dry! Just check it every 5 or 10 minutes (means only 2 or 3 times that you have to leave your computer)

The burnt material should come off more easily, using scrub pad (plastic and safe for teflon pans)
Sometimes the hardened burnt material may be too thick - just repeat the process
Ive done this on a few occasions and it WORKS.

Explanation:

Boiling causes the Sodium Bicarbonate to break up into Sodium Carbonate, releasing carbon dioxide
Sodium Carbonate is "Washing Soda", a somewhat stronger alkali and will "attack" the grease / burnt residue.

Method should not be used on plain aluminum utensils - theyll be eaten / corroded.

Please re-consider and keep yourself here. Youve given lots of time, energy & research acumen in providing lots of tips for folks here. Others will still return your favors with their own ideas. Dont cut off your nose to spite your face, so to speak.

d2e1

o

I have loosened burned material from pans by soaking them in a sink with vinegar and water for about 20 minutes and then scrubbing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here