Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inheritance

Posted by pawprint1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 20:10

Is the government tax on an inheritance like the tax on winning the lottery? Almost ? Oh, in America.

Not sure how much to put back. Internet search didnt help me.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inheritance

There is no longer a federal estate tax on estates worth $1.5 million or less. Only 2% of American families are now subject to the estate tax.

You may be subject to state taxes however, depending on your state laws.

Do a search on "estate tax" for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: IRS estate and gift tax page

o
RE: Inheritance

If you win a lottery in Canada - no tax.

When Dad passed away, nearly 20 years ago, there was final year tax return to file, death return as well, possibly a different one, as well.

But no Federal or Provincial tax on the inheritance in my hands on receipt.

What it earns in my hands is taxable (at differing rates and times, depending on the type of asset involved).

As I'm in medium marginal tax rate range now, wondering about the wisdom of selling some assets where capital gain has been developed, then rebuying similar asset, in order to trigger capital gain, that'll be taxed at lower rate than at my death, as several assets with substantial gain (even after deducting losses) and retirement fund is all considered liquidated at that time, so a substantial portion of that income would be taxed at top marginal rate.

Good wishes for good use of your inheritance.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here